The New England Magazine.

One of the most interesting articles in the New England Magazine for May is that by O. S. Adams on "Some Old Newspapers." That unfortunate species of Harvard student, the grumbler. who reads the DAILY CRIMSON every morning with more or less interest, and then indulges in indiscriminate and uncalled-for vituperation of it, will no doubt find Mr. Adams' description of old time methods of conducting newspapers much to his liking; for at the time of which Mr. Adams wrote, little or no stress was laid upon enterprise. At any rate the general reader will be greatly entertained by the author's citation of humorous notices and quaint paragraphs.

Of interest ot the student in American History are the two articles, "The Loyalists," and "Early Dorchester"- both profusely illustrated. It is an excellent sketch that Mr. Hannay gives of the exiled "Loyalists," that band of men opposed to the colonies in the Revolutionary war, whose banishment has passed with but scant notice and has evoked very little sympathy, and in whose ranks were included some of the brightest and ablest minds in the thirteen colonies; and the author regrets that they were all banished for he thinks it was a loss to the country. "Early Dorchester," will have a special attraction for Boston men as considerable personal history is given in Mrs. Whitman's article, especially of the Minot and Eliot families.