Yale Crew.

Last Friday afternoon about fifteen men began training in the Yale gymnasium, for the 'varsity crew. All the candidates took a short run and did light gymnasium work, and later, ten men rowed in the tank, coached by Captain Hartwell. S. B. Ives '93, 177 lbs., rowed stroke. He rowed No. 7 on the 'varsity crew of 1889-90 which beat Harvard, and, after Allen jumped from the boat in the race with the "Atalantas," stroked the crew for the remainder of the course. He did not row last year on account of heart-trouble. T. I. Chatfield '93, 168 1-2 lbs., who rowed No. 7 on Friday, was bow on his class crew last year. C. Dunkerson '94, 159 lbs. and H. B. Perkins '94, 163 lbs., each rowed No. 6 part of the time. Both held the position of captain of the freshman crew at different times last year, Perkins for the last part of it. Dunkerson rowed No. 5 and Perkins No. 7 on the freshman crew at the spring regatta last May. J. S. Cravens '93, 165 lbs. and E. F. Gallaudet '93, 172 lbs., both rowed on their class crew in the last spring regatta, the former at No. 2 and the latter at stroke. They rowed Nos. 5 and 3 on Friday. Nos. 4 and 2 on Friday were G. C. Treadwell '93, S., 154 lbs. (sharing the time with G. F. Sanford '94, S., 177 1-2 lbs., who played centre in the 'varsity foot-ball games with Princeton and Harvard) and C. Gignoux '92, S., 165 lbs. D. Rogers '93, 152 lbs., rowed bow. In the last spring regatta he was No. 7 on his class crew, and has served as captain of it.