Law School Notes.

In point of numbers, the year 1891-92 is the most successful one in the history of the Harvard Law School. This year the school numbers 363, an increase of 84 over last year. To accommodate these men, five new tables, seating sixty men were added to the main reading room during the Christmas recess. It is safe to say that the school has now all the men it can conveniently accommodate. From Yale especially, the increase in the first year class has been noticeable; for while in the first year class last year there were only three Yale graduates, this year there are eighteen. This large increase may be traced in part to the changes going on in the Columbia Law School, by which the method of instruction is becoming more like the one used here. Speaking of the Law School President Eliot said not long ago, that the excellency of the method is not only recognized, but the success of the Law School has given an impetus which has been felt through all the departments of the University.

The law clubs connected with the school are in a very flourishing condition and this year two new ones, the Keener and the Langdell have been organized.

The Harvard Law Review has added to its circulation this year three hundred paying subscribers, making in all eight hundred and twenty paying subscribers, and its permanent fund has increased from $250 to $1250. The prosperity of the Review is due largely to the interest taken in it by the Harvard Law School Association, which, indeed, has contributed to the success of the school in many ways.

The Association, organized in 1886, to which all graduates and former members of the school are eligible, now numbers 1661 members or nearly one-half of the whole number of former students known to be living, and includes representatives from the classes of 1825, 1829, and from every class from 1831 to the present time. The association offers an annual prize of one hundred dollars for the best essay upon any one of a list of subjects chosen by a committee of the association. The subjects for the current year are:

1. The Rights and Remedies of a Corporation or its Stockholders in respect of contracts ultra vires.

2. To what extent is Equity a System not merely of Remedies, but of Rights?

3. The Fictions of Law: have they proved useful or detrimental in its growth?

Competition for the prize is open to members of the third year class and to those who graduated from the school in 1891. The essays must be sent to the secretary of the Association before April 15, 1892.