The Cosmopolitan.

The November number of the Cosmopolitan magazine opens with the first of a series of three articles by Sir Edward Arnold on "Japan Revisited." The description is illustrated from photographs and sketches, one of which is signed by the author. A story entitled "The Drummer of Company E" follows soon after and the next thing of importance one comes across is an article on "A Cosmopolitan Language," illustrated with portraits of Max Muller. Sir John Lubbock, John Bright, Earl Roseberry, Charles Bradlaugh and others.

Perhaps the most important contribution to the number is Mr. William Dean Howells' "A Traveller from Altruria." It is a rather fascinating subject and offers remarkable opportunities for "Criticism and Fiction." It presents a very respectable motive for showing the improvements which could be made in our manners and customs of life and for the display of not a little fancy in the opinions the Altrurian has of things American.

Mr. Murat Halstead has an article on the "City of Hamburg" and Mr. William H. Rideing writes of "A Recent Visit to Mr. Gladstone at Hawarden." An entertaining and very interesting sketch of "Art Schools of Paris' is contributed by Miss Lucy Hooper. Archibald Forbes tells the story of the Fall of Constantinople as it appeared to a war correspondent and Mr. George W. Cable speaks of "Education, for the Common People in the South."

It will be remembered that some time ago the Cosmopolitan offered two prizes for the best essays on "Aerial Navigation." The article which won the second prize is published in the current number. It is by Mr. John P. Holland.

Dr. Edward E. Hall contributes a paper on "Epping Forest" and Mr. John Burroughs writes of "Bird Courtship." Mr. Brander Matthews' "Two Studies of the South" ends the number.