New Requirements for Entrance at Princeton.

It has been announced by the Committee on the Curriculum of Princeton University that the Faculty and Board of Trustees have made radical changes in the requirements for entrance examinations, which will go into effect at the June examinations in 1894. These changes will affect nearly every preparatory school in the country, as well as every student who expects to enter Princeton University.

After 1894 the standard is to be raised considerably. The new scheme allows of specialization, beginning with the freshman year.

Professor West is quoted as saying that it was a problem which Yale had been try to solve for some time, and he considered it a subject for congratulation that Princeton had succeeded so well in the new arrangement.

A summary of the new requirements is as follows:

The main features of the revised requirements are, first the introduction of Herodotus as a requirement in the place of Homer, although Homer will be accepted as an equivalent; but is expected gradually to supercede Homer entirely, reserving it for reading in college as an epic poem; second, the introduction of the elements of one modern language, either French or +++erman, as a requirement; third, the alterations of the English requirement to an exercise in English prose composition based upon specific authors; fourth, the introduction of maximum and minimum entrance requirements; the minimum requirements are the old requirements simplified and slightly raised the maximum requirements are at least equal to the Yale entrance and superior to the Harvard minimum. Then there are advanced requirements in each subject, so that those who come finely prepared in quantity as well as quality may be given advanced standing in one or more of the subjects of freshman instruction at the start.

In this way it is hoped to encourage the best schools in their efforts to send boys who will not only meet the minimum requirements well, but distinguish themselves in one or more departments for which they have special aptitude.