Prof. Davis' Lecture.

In the University Museum yesterday afternoon. Professor Davis gave the second of his course of three lectures. The subject of the lecture was "What Should be Omitted in Geographical Teaching?" Professor Davis spoke as follows: The things which are to be avoided in teaching are divided into three kinds; general mistakes, superfluities and errors. The first error in teaching might arise from overtaxing the mind. Students are quick to perceive the unsteadiness of the teacher. This is avoided by thorough preparation on the part of the teacher. Illustrations should be suggested at the proper time and withheld until the class is in a condition to receive them. Questions aroused by the thoughts of the teacher are of great value to the whole class. Too great precision is a serious fault. Strong, broad descriptions are much better. The lack of preparation by the teacher and the appearance of work entirely artificial are grave errors. The idea of compelling students to learn a list of unimportant things is an old established error. It is a study in itself to learn what to leave out and what to remember. The middle path is the one to take, but for the selection of this path, one must make a careful and serious study of the facts. The helps of careful preparation and bright and entertaining illustrations are necessary for successful teaching. Excess of logic is out of place. Children do not care for argument, but for the facts interestingly stated. Hard work in memorizing is necessary for success in geographical research. The difficulty is in the selection of the facts to be remembered. Half the things one has forgotten are unimportant facts. These should not be learned in the first place.

Each student should contribute to the class from his own personal observations. The use of technical terms should be avoided. The idea should come first and be understood then the term applied afterwards, otherwise the term is memorized without any definite knowledge of its meaning. Avoid authoritative terms and generalizations. There is often too much stress laid on trifling subjects. Statistics are tiring and of no great benefit to the student. Many errors occur in text books, such as misleading statements in regard to the tides, the air about the equator, rain and volcanoes. In the whole course of geographical study, whether it be in determining what to do or to omit, the essential requisite is to read, study and work continually.