B. A. A. Records.

Several of the members of the Boston Athletic Association took part in trials which were held on Holmes Field yesterday afternoon to beat some of the association's own records. The events in which the trials were made were the 100 yards dash, the 440 yards dash, the half-mile run, and the poll-vault for distance. The trials were eminently successful in all the events, with the exception of the 440 yards dash.

The first trial was in the 100 yards dash. G. F. Brown, '92, and E. B. Bloss, '94. were contestants, and the race was close and exciting to the very finish, Brown pulling out ahead in the last twenty yards, and winning in 10 1-5 sec. This beat the former record of 10 2-5 sec., held by W. L. Thompson, '93. Later in the afternoon another trial was held, but it was not successful, Brown, who won, failing to go faster than 10 2-5.

In the half-mile run, T. Spencer raced against time, with G. L. Batchelder, '92, as pace-make for the second quarter. Spencer showed beautiful form, and his long strides carried him through in 1 min. 58 2-5 sec., which was 1 min. and 4-5 sec. inside his own record.

In the 440, also, S. A. Coombs raced against time, but he ran himself out in the first 220, and failed to beat the club record of 51 sec. His time was 52 1-5 sec.

In the poll-vault for distance, J. Crane (Harvard '90) vaulted against his own record of 23 ft. 4 in., which he raised to 26 ft. This is within a couple of inches of the world's record in this event, held by A. H. Green, '92.

The officers of the trials were: Starter, Mr. Lindsay; timers (and measurers), Messrs. J. G. Lathrop, John Graham and H. S. Cornish. The conditions were very good, there being little or no wind. These records now stand as new records of the B. A. A.