Harvard 16, Dartmouth 0.

On Saturday the eleven played its first game of the season, beating Dartmouth 16 to 0. Last year's score in the first game, also played against Dartmouth, was 48 to 0. But this great falling off can be accounted for by the fact that Dartmouth's eleven was heavier than last year, and was made up almost as it was at that time, while Harvard's eleven was unusually light. Again, in the rush line, only Emmons, Lewis, and Mackie played on last year's team.

In general, it may be said that the 'varsity was, excellent in offensive play but poor in defense. Dartmouth had the ball and came near scoring at the start. With short rushes, mostly by Harvard's left guard, they rushed the ball to the six yard line, when they lost it on the fourth down by a bad snapback on the part of Jones.

As soon as the 'varsity had a chance to run with the ball, they rushed it straight down the field. They did not lose it once on four downs. Dartmouth, however, secured it several times because of holdings or off-side play on Harvard's part. The umpire's strictness against Harvard alone was severely criticised by many.

Rushes of fifteen and twenty yards around the end were nothing out of the way Saturday for Gray and Waters, and once Gray ran sixty yards. This good work was made possible by the excellent intelligence of Emmons, Fairchild and Mackie. The backs played well together.

The weak spot in the line was left guard. Warren and Laimbeer are both inexperienced, and Acton could play only a few minutes on account of his injury. It was here that Dartmouth's gains were made. Beal and Johnson and Stevenson all played good football. It is needless to say that the old men did the same.

Only one touchdown was made in the first half, and things looked dubious for a satisfactory score. The second half witnessed somewhat better defensive play, and Dartmouth could not keep the ball so long as in the first half.

Gray dropped the ball once within a foot of Dartmouth's goal, and Dartmouth secured it, but on the first down Harvard broke through and forced Pollard to make a safety. Two touchdowns were made this half. Brewer kicked only the last goal. The final score was, Harvard 16, Dartmouth 0.

The make up was as follows:

HARVARD. DARTMOUTH.

Emmons, left end, Folsom.

Beal, left tackle, E. Jones.

Warren, left guard, Meaff.

Acton, left guard, Meaff.

Laimbeer, left guard, Meaff.

Lewis, centre, M. Jones.

Mackie, right guard, Little.

Johnson, right tackle, Townsend.

Stevenson, right end, Curtis.

Stevenson, right end, Smalley.

Fairchild, quarter back, Pollard,

Waters, half backs, Randall.

Gray, half backs, Dodge.

Brewer, full back, Carlton.

Referee, W. A. Brooks, Harvard '87. Umpire, Mr. Norton, of Yale.