Yale '97, 30; Harvard '97, 4.

The freshmen were completely outclassed in their game with Yale on Saturday. It was expected that Harvard would be strong enough in individual players to counteract the better team work which the Yale men were known to have. As the game proved, Yale was not only superior in team play, but excelled also in the work her men were capable of individually. Jerrems, Pond, and Murphy did some exceptionally brilliant playing. Stevenson played a good game for Harvard and Wrightington's four rushes at the close of the game were rather remarkable.

There were 2000 people present when the game began. Harvard won the toss but gave Yale the ball. Yale gained fifteen yards in the opening wedge, but was compelled to kick on the fourth down. Lovering returned the ball. Pond gained ten yards through Connor and Shaw and successive rushes by Pond and Jerrems secured the first touchdown for Yale, after six minutes play. Cochrane kicked a goal. Harvard started with a wedge but failed to make a material gain. Two unsuccessful attempts were made against Yale's centre and then Dunlop was sent around the end, but failed to make the required distance. Yale was forced to kick, but Lovering fumbled and Chadwick fell on the ball at Harvard's 25 yard line. Poud gained 20 yards around Burton and Murphy scored the second touchdown on the next play. After a short gain by the wedge, Lovering punted. Cochrane fumbled, but Jerrems secured the ball on Yale's 10 yard line. Cochrane was forced to kick after three downs. Harvard then advanced the ball by steady gains to Yale's two yard line, but superior defensive work compelled her to relinquish the ball on four downs. Yale steadily pushed the ball down the field and time was called with the ball at Harvard's 25 yard line. Score, Yale 10, Harvard 0.

In the second half Harvard gained barely two yards on the flying wedge and Dunlop was soon forced to kick. Yale rushed steadily at Scannell and in twelve minutes Jerrems scored a touchdown. Harvard lost the ball immediately. Weld fumbled Cochrane's punt and after three rushes Jerrems went over Harvard's line again. Two good punts by Dunlop kept the ball in Yale ground for some time and then Pond rushed through right tackle and made another touchdown, after a run of 75 yards. Good rushing by Pond and Jerrems gave Yale her last score. Then, with only six minutes left to play, Harvard made a spurt. The fine rushes which carried the ball over 40 yards and resulted in a touchdown were made in little more than a minute's time.

The teams lined up as follows:

YALE '97. HARVARD '97.

Bass, left end, Barton.

Murphy, left tackle, Connor.

Chadwick, left guard, Shaw.

Campbell, centre, Shea.

Sturgis, right guard, Laimbeer.

Judd, right tackle, Scannell.

Hinkey, right end, Stevenson.

Fiske, quarterback, Beale.

Jerrems, halfback, Dunlop.

Pond, halfback, Wrightington.

Cochrane, fullback, Lovering.

Cochrane, fullback, Weld.

Score: Yale, 30; Harvard, 4. Touchdowns: Jerrems (4), Murphy, Cochrane, and Weld. Goals from touchdowns: Cochrane (3). Umpire, Mr. Hubbard. Referee, Mr. Stearns.