Radeciffe College.

Now that the Annex is soon to start on the career of a degree-conferring college, it will doubtless be interesting to many to learn somewhat more than is generally known of the past of the Society for the Collegiate Instruction of Women.

To Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Gilman, at present secretary of the Society and chairman of the Students' Committee respectively, is due the great credit of being the originators of the plan for the education of women by professors of Harvard College. It was their desire to make no direct advances to the corporation of the college, so that the responsibility of the experiment should rest only upon the persons interested in it; yet as the instruction was to be furnished by Harvard professors, it was evident that no action ought to be taken without consultation with the college authorities. Accordingly, having matured their plans, Mr. and Mrs. Gilman first brought them to the notice of Professor Greenough and his wife, who at once and heartily approved of them. Their example was speedily followed by the other professors, and President Eliot himself gave important encouragement and counsel.

The formation of the directing body for the new society was of too grave importance to be hastily accomplished. Mr. and Mrs Gilman formed the nucleus, and with Professor and Mrs. Greenough held their first formal meeting on January 14, 1879, and chose Miss Horsford and Miss Longfellow for their first associates. The desired number was completed early in the next month by the addition of Mrs. Josiah P. Cooke, Mrs. Louis Agassiz, and Mrs. E. W. Gurney; and no time was lost in getting out the first circular, which was dated February 22. In spite of the careful wording of this, it was understood by many, as it has so often been understood since, that Harvard College was to be opened to women.

The first examinations were held in September, and then, as ever since, the papers and times of the examinations were the same as those adopted by the college. The first year began with twenty-five students, who at once formed twenty-nine classes, and brought into service seven professors, four assistant professors, and twelve instructors. The work for the first few years was carried on in a private house on Appian Way; but when the classes had quickly outgrown these small quarters, the society took advantage of the offer of Miss Maria Denny Fay to secure the building they have since occupied,- the old Fay House.

Almost every one is today aware of the rapid progress and astonishing success of the Society, which enlarged its numbers and became a legal corporation in 1892; but probably few realize how largely this progress and success are due to the kindness of the members of the Harvard board of instructors. Ever since the earliest days of the society, professors and instructors alike have willingly offered their services for a remuneration which has of itself been but a slight incentive to undertake the work; but their reward has been great in the gratitude of the society. When the Annex becomes Radcliffe College, it will still number on its staff very many of the best known professors and instructors of the University which has done so much for its welfare.