Mass Meeting of the University of Pennsylvania.

A large mass meeting of students and professors of the University of Pennsylvania was held on Monday night, at which some six hundred were present. The meeting was called to take action on the new undergraduate rule, which has occasioned so much controversy of late. The stand that Pennsylvania takes is well shown in the following resolutions adopted at the meeting, and they are interesting as giving the other side of the question, as it appears to that college, which is most seriously affected by the change:

"Resolved, That the undergraduates of the University of Pennsylvania, while ready to join in any carefully considered movement for the purification of undergraduate athletics, enter their earnest protest against the recent amendments to the constitution of the Intercollegiate Football Association, debarring certain classes of bona-fide undergraduate students from playing on university teams.

"First. Because such legislation fails to recognize the broad distinction between a university and a college, and the right of students of all departments to compete in any and all branches of university athletics.

"Second. Because such legislation will, if allowed to stand, check the healthy competition for places on foot-ball teams by restricting the area of competition, will thus decrease the present widespread interest in the game, detract largely from its character, and hamper its normal development as a university sport.

"Third. Because, even if the foregoing reasons be not accepted as conclusive, we confidently hold that such radical legislation should be prospective in its application, and that at least one year's notice should be given before carrying it into effect.

"Resolved, that the students of the University of Pennsylvania wish to place themselves on record as in favor of any just legislation to eradicate existing evils in intercollegiate athletics, and we hereby heartily commend the plan suggested by Mr. Caspar W. Whitney in the issue of Harper's Weekly for January 28, 1893, as providing an effectual remedy for the abuse complained of.

"Resolved, also, That inasmuch as the recent legislation affects not only athletic contests, but also other important interests and relations in American university life, therefore that it is the sense of this meeting that the legislation should not in fairness be treated as final, but should be subject to a careful review by a conference composed of delegates representing the trustees, faculties, and undergraduates of the several institutions affected.

"Resolved That the Athletic Association of the University of Pennsylvania be requested to appoint a committee with instructions and power to bring about such a conference."