The March Outing.

Outing for March is rather above the average. The best thing about the number is the fact that "Harry's Career" comes to its end. We congratulate the editors for getting through with it, and we sincerely hope for their good as well as our own that they will not undertake to publish anything more in the same style. The number opens with an article on steeple chasing in Ireland. It is good reading and the illustrations are decidedly above the Outing standard, One of the best articles of the number is "Track Athletics at Yale" by S. Scoville, Yale '93. It covers all the principle events in athletics at Yale from 1869 up to date, with a number of pictures of prominent Yale athletes.

A good article is "Fishing Through the Ice" by E. W. Sandys. He makes some very sensible remarks on the folly of using cheap guns. They may wear well enough for a time and if you are fortunate you may get one that will shoot well, but you must always run the risk of getting one with a flaw in it, and at the same time take the chances that it will explode.

In speaking of racing, a writer in Outing says "at present the national tendency toward legislation in racing, recalls the old fable of the mountain that brought forth a mouse, but it is hard to say what a month or even a week may show. The passage of some really satisfactory measure would be of the greatest service, not only to the actual states that would possess them, but as setting an example to the entire country. The plague - for it amounts to nothing less - of unrestricted racing must be checked."

There is an article on the proposed intercollegiate regatta at the World's Fair which is interesting and which contains information new to most of us. The author says "The management is making great effort to secure entries from the leading American and English Universities, and hopes for success. The regatta will probably take place in August, late enough to allow Harvard, Yale, Cornell, and the University of Pennsylvania crews to recuperate after their annual engagements." The fiction and the poetry of the number are of very much the same nature as usual.