UNIVERSITY EXTENSION.

A short account of the University extension movement in this country may be of interest. It was started in 1890 by Dr. William Pepper, provost of the University of Pennsylvania, to afford a system of instruction for adults, embracing lecture courses, with classes, exercises, examinations and certificates. The American Society for the extension of University Teaching, founded in 1890 by Dr. Pepper, has organized "local centres" in the neighboring states; and through branch societies and affiliated colleges has stimulated general diffusion of the system. The "Unit of Instruction" is a course of six or twelve weekly or fortnightly lectures, followed by a special conference or class. The "unit of organization" consists of a committee of citizens or the directors of a literary or social club, who are willing to assume the local management of the course. Lecturers are secured through the central office, either from the faculty of a neighboring collese or from the society's regular staff. The growth of the system has been remarkable. In 1890-91, there were 23 centres in and near Philadelphia, before which 42 lecture courses were given to an average attendance of 10,000. In 1891-92 there were 59 "centres", 120 courses, and 25,000 studets. At the annual National Conference at Philadelphia, many colleges and active extension centres in 20 states were represented, and the movement is rapidly gaining support in all parts of the country.