Naval Architecture at Cornell.

Cornell University has inaugurated a school of naval architecture and marine engineering. The leading powers of Europe have long had such schools. France has one at Paris called the Government School of Naval Architecture; Italy has one at Genoa, the German Government has two schools of naval architecture, one in Berlin and another in Kiel. Neither is Great Britain wanting in this respect, having a large school of naval architecture in Greenwich, besides a course in naval architecture at Glasgow University, Scotland. The school of naval architecture is a part of Sibley College, Cornell University. The college is under the direction of Dr. Robert H. Thurston. The course occupies two years, but is so arranged as to require three years of preparation in a good technical school before entering upon it. It is intended that students who have reached their senior year in the course in mechanical engineering may then take up this course for their fourth college year and finish it in one year of post graduate work. Students from other technical schools are, of course, admitted under the same conditions.