Competition for Yale Debate.

The debate with Yale will take place in Cambridge on January 18. The subject will be: "Resolved, That attempts of employers to ignore associations of workingmen and to deal with individual employes only are prejudicial to the best interests of both." Harvard will have the affirmative.

The joint committee of the Wendell Phillips Club and Harvard Union have completed arrangements for the competition to select the speakers. Owing to the ever increasing number of men who try for these debates, it has been thought advisable, this year, to adopt a new method of choice.

Accordingly there will be two competitions, or, rather, one competition in two parts, instead of one trial, as formerly. At the first trial the men will be divided into two sections, each with three judges. The judges will select the five best men in each section and the ten thus chosen will, a few days later, enter the second part of the competition. At this time the three best of the ten men will be selected to represent Harvard. Speakers in the first part will be limited to five minutes, in the second to ten; the judges on the second night will be the six who originally served in the two sections, with a seventh selected for the occasion. The date for the preliminary trial is Friday, Dec. 7; the final debate will occur a few days later.

In order that all men have an equal chance, and to avoid over-crowding of either section, it has seemed advisable to the committee to divide the men by lot. To this end, all who try are requested to send their names to the secretary, H. F. Knight, at 14 Thayer, before 6 p. m., on Wednesday, Dec. 5. The drawings will then be made and the sections will be printed in the CRIMSON. It is considered that no one is a candidate who does not hand in his name as requested above.