Catalogue for 1894-95.

The Catalogue for 1894-95 appeared yesterday. In general plan it is identical with those of other years, but owing to the growth of the University some forty more pages have been added.

The changes announced in the board of administrative officers of the University are the appointment of Professor H. B. Hill as director of the Chemical Laboratory, in place of Professor J. P. Cooke, deceased; and the appointment George B. Foss, M. D. V., as surgeon in charge of the Veterinary Hospital. The position of secretary of the University, which was left vacant by the death of Mr. Bolles, has not yet been filled. Of the governing boards, the Fellows have lost through death Mr. John Quincy Adams, and have appointed as members of the board, Major Henry L. Higginson, and Mr. Samuel Hoar. The Overseers who have been elected to hold office until 1900 are Augustus Hemenway, Charles Beaman, Samuel A. Green, William Lawrence, D. D., and Francis C. Lowell. In the list of University Preachers, J. Estlin Carpenter and Phillip S. Moxom have been appointed to succeed Washington Gladden, D. D., and Leighton Parks, D. D.

The Faculty has lost through death Professor J. P. Cooke, and by resignation, Professor Lane. All the new members of the Faculty have been connected with the University as instructors or assistants. Herbert L. Warren has been promoted from instructor to assistant professor of Architecture, and besides him, Henry L. Smythe, A. B., Robert T. Jackson, S. D., James L. Love, A. M., Joseph Torrey, Jr., A. M., John H. Gardiner, A. B., Hammond Lamont, A. B., Lewis J. Johnson, A. B., and C. A. Adams, Jr., S. B., have been promoted to the Faculty. Twenty-six former instructors and assistants have left the University. In their places thirty-one new men have been elected, making a slight increase in the total over last year.

In the Divisions and Departments many changes have been made; as Chairman of the Semitic Languages and History, Professor Lyon has succeeded Professor Toy; Professor Smith has taken the place of Professor Goodwin as Chairman of Ancient Languages; Professor Kittredge that of Professor Child as Chairman of Modern Languages; Assistant Professor Marsh that of Professor Sheldon as Chairman of Italian and Spanish; Professor White that of Professor Smith as Chairman of Classics; Professor Royce that of Professor Palmer as Chairman of Philosophy; Professor Macvane that of Professor Dunbar as Chairman of History and Political Science; Professor Gross that of Professor Emerton as chairman of History and Roman Law; Professor Norton that of Professor Moore as Chairman of Fine Arts; Professor Hall that of Professor Trowbridge as Chairman of Physics; Professor Jackson that of Professor Cooke as chairman of Chemistry; and Professor Davis that of Professor Shaler as Chairman of Geology.

The new prize established by James Gordon Bennett is announced, and a new scholarship for undergraduates called the Fall River Scholarship, also appears. This scholarship was founded by Milton Reed of Fall River, and is for one hundred a year, to be given only to students from Fall River.

In the Administrative Board of the Lawrence Scientific School no changes have been made. Several new four year courses have been added to the Department of study of the school; a course in Mining Engineering, one in Architecture, one in Botany and Zoology, and one in Science for Teachers. These four year courses have involved the addition of some thirty new courses to the list of studies.

Professor Palmer has taken the place of Professor Toy on the Administrative Board of the Graduate School. George F. Moore, D. D., and Edward Hale, A. B., have been appointed to the Faculty of the Divinity School. The library of the school has been increased during the year by 1,400 volumes and 700 pamphlets. Charles M. Green, M.D., and Herbert L. Burrell, M.D., have been elected to the Faculty of the Medical School. There are ten new instructors with a net gain of two. Two new scholarships have been founded in this school; one by the friends and patients of Charles Pratt Strong, M. D.; the second, for colored students, by Mrs. Harriet Hayden.

Five new members have been added to the Faculty of the Dental School, and four new instructors have been elected to take the place of four who have gone.

The Faculty of the School of Veterinary Medicine is unchanged, but two instructors have left, and three new ones have been elected.

C. H. Bolton has been appointed an assistant at the Library in the cataloguing department. The statistics of the librarian show an increase during the year of 6,310 bound volumes.

The following tables show the increase in the number of teachers and students. There are in these tables many variations from the provisional statistics published at the beginning of the year:

TEACHERS.

1893-94. 1894-95.

Professors, 83 80

Associate professors, 3 3

Assistant professors, 32 35

Lecturers, 15 11

Tutors, 1 1

Instructors, 109 114

Demonstrators and assistants, 79 93

- -

Whole number of teachers, 322 337

STUDENTS.

1893-94. 1894-95.

College, 1656 1667

Scientific School, 280 308

Graduate School, 252 258

Divinity School, 47 50

Law School, 353 404

Medical School, 446 454

Dental School, 63 80

Veterinary School, 50 62

Bussey Institute, 13 12

--- ---

3160 3295

Deduct for names inserted more than once, 4 5

--- ---

3156 3290