Letter from Major Higginson.

Captain Wiggin received a letter yesterday which is of especial interest, coming as it does just before the game with Princeton. It is from Henry Lee Higginson, the donor of Soldiers Field. It is as follows:

44 STATE STREET, BOSTON, MASS., May 18, 1894.

DEAR SIR:- Will you allow me to say a few words to you about a custom of the students on the playground?

Good manners and a sense of justice call for a change or two in the ways of Harvard students at the games.

Cheering a bad play of an opponent is unkind. Cheering to worry an opponent is shabby. Cheering in our home for our men only is at least ungraceful and very selfish.

Cheering like any applause should be spontaneous, or it loses its point-and it should be given for the good play of any player, or it is markedly unjust and stupid. A team from another college comes to Cambridge to play with usand the men are our guests.

The laws of hospitality are sacred and cannot be broken without an injury to the community in which and for which we live. These laws call for a kind welcome and kind treatment-"nothing but peace and gentle visitation."

It seems to me that if you say a few words to the students we shall see the manners and customs of gentlemen adopted here at once by them.

My reason for writing to you is clear, and I am ready to help in any way.

Yours very truly,

HENRY L. HIGGINSON. Captain Joseph Wiggin, Holyoke House, Cambridge.