Cornell Stronger than was Expected.- No Scoring the First Half.

The game on Saturday resulted in a well earned victory for Harvard, though for an hour Cornell played a stubborn game and aided by many penalties for off-side playing of the Harvard line and by good punting succeeded in defending their goal.

Cornell played a kicking game from the start, while Harvard tried to advance the ball by rushing. This proved to be slow work and before carrying the ball far, it was either fumbled, or more often taken away by the umpire, who was very severe in enforcing the slightest breaches of the rules against off-side playing and holding. Cornell would immediately punt, and Harvard would have to begin all over again.

In the second half the story was quite different. Harvard played a kicking game until the ball was near Cornell's goal and then by steady banging at the tackles and guards made the touchdown. During this half the Cornell backs fumbled wretchedly on kicks and this enabled Stevenson and Cabot, who got down the field quickly, to fall on the ball for long gains.

The best work of the game was done by Cabot, Brewer, Holt, Rogers and Wyckoff. Cabot foliowed the ball well, and on the offensive made the best gains through the centre. Brewer was also a good ground gainer, and punted well. All the centre of the line was strong, and prevented any considerable gains through it, while Holt, especially, opened up good holes for the backs. Stevenson played better than he has hitherto done this year, but showed his old faults of fighting too much, and getting off side. Donald also lost many yards in this way.

The weakest point of Harvard's playing was shown in her attempts to get around the ends. The interference was extremely slow and clumsy and never accomplished anything except to get in the runner's way. The first man generally fell down and carried with him most of the other interferers, while the halfback was easily tackled from behind. Much more ground was lost in this way than was gained. In the second half few attempts were made to send the runner farther out than tackle.

Cornel could not at any time gain more than a few yards, and only about three times during the game made the necessary five yards. The team was hardly as strong as was Brown last week.

Cornell had one novel play. When the ball was to be punted, the quarterback stood about twenty feet from the line. The centre rush instead of bouncing the ball, threw it back into the quarterback's hands, and the latter either punted himself or passed the ball to the fullback. The play was quite successful, for although the Harvard forwards broke through quickly, only one or two kicks were blocked.

Harvard kicked off, and Young punted back on the first down to the middle of the field. Brewer could not gain around the end and kicked outside at the 40 yard line. The ball changed hands twice for offside playing, and after short gains through the centre, Brewer ran 8 yards round the end on a fake kick. Harvard lost the ball on Cornell's 20 yard line for holding. Cornell kicked, and regained the ball on Fairchilds fumble near the centre of the field. Here the ball remained for some time, neither side being able to gain much, until Harvard braced up and gained 40 yards on short runs by Brewer. Cabot, and Fairchild, until Cabot fumbled on the 30 yard line. Harvard tried in vain to score during the remainder of the half but could not get nearer than the 20 yard line.

In the second half Cornell kicked off to Gonterman and Brewer at once punted back. Wyckoff dropped the ball and Stevenson fell on it, and repeated this but a moment later when Beacham fumbled a second kick by Brewer. Here Harvard began to show her real strength, and by repeated mass plays against the tackles pushed Fairchild over the line for the first touchdown. Fairchild also kicked the goal making the score 6 to 0.

Harvard continued to punt and soon advanced to the 40-yard line, where Gonterman was given the ball on a fake kick. He found a good hole between Holt and Stevenson, and shaking off the Cornell backs, he ran the rest of the distance to the goal line with a clear field. No goal was kicked.

The third touchdown was the result of steady rushing through the tackles aided by a fumble of one of Brewer's punts. Fairchild again failed to make the goal.

Harvard continued the same tactics as before and had now no difficulty in plunging through Cornell's weakened line for steady gains. Brewer carried the ball over and kicked the goal, making the score 20 to 0.

It was only a few minutes before the ball was brought back to Cornell's end of the field. Fairchild made a fair catch on the 35 yard mark, and then Brewer made a very brilliant goal from the field on a place kick.

Time was called a moment later with the ball in the centre of the field.

The line-up: