AN OPINION FROM YALE.

A Well-known Graduate Congratulates the Harvard Team.

The CRIMSON is permitted to print the following letter from a well-known alumnus of Yale. Mr. Elder has been president of the Yale Alumni Association and has for years taken an active interest in Yale athletics. The letter is written to Mr. Deland, the head coach of the eleven and reads as follows:

"RANGLEY, WINCHESTER, MASS., November 24, 1895.

Dear Mr. Deland:

I cannot refrain from congratulating you upon the splendid work the Harvard men did yesterday, particularly in the second half. Nothing more disheartening than its opening can be imagined. With an adverse score and a vindictive wind which had been of no service in the first half, suddenly rising to a half gale, so that the flag-staff bent, I could not imagine what instructions you could give the men. In the face of it all to carry the ball 80 yards without once losing it and to a touchdown, was a feat not often seen on any field. I trust we shall never hear again of Harvard's lacking sand. It was hard even for me to see that game lost when two easy goals would have won it. It must have been hard enough for you after so much good work.

Sincerely,

SAMUEL J. ELDER. Lorin F. Deland, Esq."