FRESHMEN, 4; GROTON, 0.

Freshmen Play a Good Game on a Slippery Field.

In spite of the fact that Saturday's game at Groton was played in a snow storm, the freshmen showed improvement. The interference formed well but the ground was too slippery for sharp rushing. Most of ninety-nine's gains were made between tackle and end, Groton's heavy centre proving invincible. Sargent. who has been playing on the 'varsity squad, was a valuable addition at tackle. Holden, the other tackle, also gained ground whenever he was called upon to rush. Dibblee's kicking was strong and he further distinguished himself by making the longest run of the game. Dayton also made several long runs. Brinley and Davis played the best game for Groton.

Neither side scored in the first half, though ninety-nine twice had the ball on Groton's 10 yard line, but lost it on downs. Groton played an aggressive game during the first half and almost scored on a long kick and off-side play.

In the second half Groton changed their style of play entirely, kicking the ball on every opportunity. There had been several exchanges of kicks and the ball was in ninety-nine's possession on their 45 yard line; the signal was given for a criss-cross, and Dibblee darted round the right end for 30 yards; a moment later, Sargent was pushed across the line for the only touchdown. No goal was kicked. Ninety-nine's goal was never in danger during the second half, and the game ended on Groton's 35 yard line.

The line-up was:

FRESHMEN. GROTON.

Johnston, r. e. l. e., Davis.

Sargent, r. t. l. t., Mr. Grizzle.

White, r. g. l. g., Sargent.

Homans, c. c., Burden.

Lloyd, l. g. r. g., Lawrence.

Holden, l. t. r. t., Craighad.

Richardson, l. e. r. e., Higginson (capt.)

Farley, q. b. q. b., Hawkins.

Adams, h. b. h. b., Hoppin.

Dayton, h. b. h. b., Auchincloss.

Dibblee f. b. f. b., Brinley.