"An Awful Butchery."

The Harvard-Yale Game as Reported in Germany.

A member of the German Faculty of Yale has furnished a translation of an account in a German paper of the Harvard Yale football game at Springfield. It is interesting as showing the ideas of American sports which are presented to the German public. The account comes from the Muenchener Neuste Nachrichten, under the head of "Brutal Sport."

"From New York the following is reported to the Magdeburger Gazette:

"The football tournament between the teams of Harvard and Yale in Springfield had terrible results. It turned into an awful butchery. Of twenty-two participants seven were so severely injured that they had to be carried from the field in a senseless condition. The vertebral column of one was put out of joint; a second one's nose was broken; a third lost an eye and a fourth broke his leg. The rest suffered severe internal injuries.

'The intention to injure each other in all their attacks was clearly evident. Therefore there can be no question of accident. Furthermore both teams appeared upon the field with a crowd of doctors, ambulances and attendants, which from the very start did not fail of producing a gruesome impression upon the spectators.

'Many ladies were present who fainted away at the awful cries of the injured players. The indignation felt towards the brutality of the students was powerful, but terror so dominated the spectators that nobody dared interfere.

'From other towns, too, incidents of brutality in football are reported. In Shreve (Ohio) and in Worcester (Mass.) they resulted in the death of a young man at each place.

'Many professors at the Universities are openly proclaiming in the newspapers their disgust at this disgraceful sport and protest against allowing its continuance. They are complaining a great deal about the behavior in general of a majority of the students. The study of the sciences has become a side issue.

'The cult of all possible sports dominates all the colleges to such an extent that the parents of the students are in despair about the matter without being able to make any headway against the abuse.'"

Mr. Gruener, who furnished this translation, thinks he sees a political motive in this fiction, and is of the opinion that the papers printing such reports were misled by those who sought thus to influence the popular mind against the introduction of American and English athletic sports, which the Emperor favors.