Geography of New England.

Professor Davis gave the second of the course of lectures under the auspices of the Natural History Society last night, The subject was the Physical Geography of New England. Professor Davis conducted his lecture by means of a fine series of lantern slides, which he commented on and discussed.

He said that the most noticeable feature of the geography of New England was the level upland surface, which forms all the rural part of the country. This upland slopes gradually down from a height of 1400 feet in New Hampshire to the coast line, where it sinks into the sea. Although generally level, this long stretch of land is broken by mountains, sometimes isolated and sometimes in groups, and also by valleys running toward the sea. When travelling through the valleys one does not realize how level the country really is, but from a high point of view the comparatively level sky line can be seen.

The upland has been worn to its present condition by the great glaciers which spread over all New England, covering even the highest peaks of the White Mountains. The lowlands, like the valley of the Connecticut River, have been dug out to a lower level because they were formed of soft material. There still exist in New England many traces of the ice period such as the rounded rocks of the mountain tops, and the large boulders found everywhere.

The date of the lecture by Professor Goodale which was set as April 5, has been changed to April 3.