F. C. Barlow '55.

Gen. F. C. Barlow died in New York on Saturday last. He was born in 1834, and was graduated from Harvard in 1855, being a member of the class in which Alexander Agassiz, Phillips Brooks, and Robert Treat Paine graduated. After graduating he studied law in the office of W. C. Noyes, New York, and began practice in that city. For a time he was on the Tribune staff. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in the 12th regiment, New York State national guard, and went to the front at the first call. In September, 1862, he was made brigadier general for bravery. He was wounded at Antietam, and again at Gettysburg, where he was taken prisoner. He participated in the final Potomac campaign with Gen. Grant and was present at the Confederate surrender. In 1865 he was elected secretary of state of New York, serving till 1868, when Grant appointed him marshal for the southern district of the state. In 1871 he was elected attorneygeneral of New York, serving through 1873. From that time till his death he practiced Law in New York City.