PENNSYLVANIA'S CLUB.

Its Objects Similar to Those of the Pro=posed University Club.

The erection of the new Houston Hall at the University of Pennsylvania has already been noticed in the CRIMSON. As the objects of the Houston Club which is there established are similar in some ways to those of the proposed University Club or Union at Harvard, an account of its workings will be of interest. The purpose of the Houston Club was to draw the members of the different departments into closer contact with each other and as in the plan for the Harvard organization this end is obtained by providing certain definite conveniences to the members. Among these may be mentioned a reading-room and library, bowling alleys, billiard and pool tables, baths and lockers, and offices and headquarters for college publications.

Twelve hundred students have already joined the Houston Club and only a few days ago membership cards were still being issued at the rate of eighty a day. It is expected that by the end of the month nearly every member of the university will have joined. A great many graduates have become associate members. The expectations of the promoters of the club have already been more than realized. That there was need of such a meeting place for the students is already indicated by the large numbers who daily frequent the hall.

The hall, which was erected as a memorial to a student who died during his college course, has been so far, and promises to be in the future, self-supporting. The plan by which the privileges are paid for is this: The annual fee is one dollar only. Tickets of the value of three cents are on sale at the office of the secretary and are sold in any quantity. None but members can purchase tickets. These are given up to the attendants in charge of the various departments whenever use is made of the latter. The aim is to have the fees for the use of the baths bowling alleys, etc., about sixty per cent of what is charged elsewhere.

The college papers, and the athletic association as well as several medical societies have already moved to their new quarters in the hall.