Appleton Chapel.

Prof. F. G. Peabody preached in Appleton Chapel last night on ideas suggested by the first verse of the first Psalm and more especially by the last sentence, "nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful."

Scorn expresses itself against religion, morality, love, against all the greats facts of human life; but the scorn of religion is the worst form. This scorn is often the first stage of sin in the young man. He sits on a lofty seat and surveys the religious views of those about him first with doubt, then with contempt. In this process he soon hardens his conscience and then temptations find him an easy prey. There is also a scorn of ungodliness. There are men who sneer at the evils of their time, who vent their sarcasm on the wrong which they see about them and this may be all well enough in itself, but these men seldom actually do any good themselves and their sneering may do infinite harm. Then again we find a scorn of the unfamiliar, a scorn of educated for uneducated, of business man for scholar, of religious man for non - religious man.

In all these we may see certain characteristics of the scorner. First, he is inactive, he points out evil without moving to remedy it; second, he always looks down, he is by nature an unfavorable critic and pessimist. The man with these characteristics will find his place in the voting tomorrow or rather will fail to find his place and the indifference of his class will be the greatest danger. the Government will have to face; it. is the inactive lookers on who will keep the nation in trouble and perplexity.

The only remedy for scornfulness is an upward view. As long as a man sees only what is beneath him he must remain on the "seat of the scornful." If he will only attach himself to something high, to the Law of God as expressed. by religion, he must inevitably change his plan and become a man.

The choir sang the Anthem: O how amiable, West; Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, Iliffe; My God, I thank Thee, Barnby.