AFFAIRS AT PRINCETON.

Celebration of the Football Victory.- The Annual Cane Spree.

PRINCETON, December 1, 1896.

Considerable interest has been aroused among the students at the news that President Cleveland has purchased a house here and that he will take up his residence in Princeton when his term of office expires next March.

On Friday evening, December 4, the alumni of the university will give to the members of the championship football team a banquet which promises to be the most elaborate ever given in Princeton. Mr. James W. Alexander '60 will preside. Mr. Adrian Joline '70 will act as toast-master. Harvard University will be represented by Mr. Joseph Sears, captain of the Harvard eleven in '88, and Yale University will send as her representative, Mr. George Adee. Governor Griggs of New Jersey will also be present.

The freshman football eleven defeated the Yale freshman team on Wednesday last by the score of 14-4. Both teams played a very good offensive game, but were very weak in defensive work. Yale's better team work enabled her to open up holes for the backs in Princeton's line, while the superior individual playing of the Princeton team gave her most of her gains.

On Monday evening, November 23, the public celebration for the football victory over Yale on the previous Saturday took place. During the day wood was gathered and placed on the campus, and when the celebration began, this was lighted. Speeches were made by President Patton, Dean Murray and the members of the team.

The annual cane-spree between the sophomore and freshman classes took place last week and was won by the freshmen, who obtained two of the three canes contested. Hale 1900 took the cane from Johnston '99 in the light weight spree, after a spree of 3 1-2 minutes. In the middle weights Dewitt 1900 took the cane from Delafield '99 in the third round after two very evenly contested rounds of five minutes each. Harrison '99 won the heavy weight rather easily from Hart 1900, who was much lighter and so considerably handicapped.

Almost all the work of the '98 Bric-a-Brac, the year-book of the University, is in the hands of the printer, and it is expected that it will be out by Dec. 5.

DAILY PRINCETONIAN.