OBITUARY.

Charles Horatio Gates '35.

Ex-President Julius H. Seelye of Amherst College died at his home in Amherst Sunday night.

In the winter of 1885 President Seelye suffered from a severe attack of erysipelas, and from that time until his death his health was by no means good.

Dr. Julius Hawley Seelye was born in Bethel, Fairfield county, Conn., Sept. 14, 1884.

He was the son of Seth and Abigail Taylor Seelye. His early education was obtained in the district schools. He entered Amherst college in 1844, and was graduated in the class of 1849. From 1849 to 1852 he studied at the Auburn theological seminary, and later spent a year abroad pursuing his theological studies in Germany.

Upon his return he was ordained to the ministry but in 1858 he was called to the chair of mental and moral philosophy at Amherst. This was his sphere of labor until 1875. He was then elected to the national House of Representatives and served one term in the forty-fourth Congress. In 1877 Dr. Seelye was called to the presidency of Amherst College and held that position with great ability for fourteen years. He was a man of far-reaching personality, a scholar of the highest type, and he imparted the richness and breadth of his own nature to his administration.