Wall. Whitman's Philosophy.

Mr. William M. Salter of Philadelphia delivered the second and last of his lectures on Walt Whitman last evening in Sever 11. He devoted the lecture to the consideration of Whitman's philosophy. He said that the great fault to be found in Whitman is his lack of distinction between good and evil. Indeed Whitman affirmed that there was no such thing as evil in nature. Everything which appears evil is really good when looked at from the right standpoint. While we recognize immorality as something to be shunned, Whitman thought it should be commemorated. The lecturer said that some of his poems are nothing short of scandals in the eyes of all rightminded men.

There are three causes which can be shown in extenuation of this fault of Whitman: his sympathy with man, an immoral way of looking at the universe, and a peculiar theory of the functions of a poet. His sympathy led him to participate in and celebrate the sin of men. He looked at nature believing that it should be accepted in its entirety. And Whitman's motto in poetry was "Nature without check."

And yet Whitman realized that nature is not perfect, and that right is the only really strong thing in the world.

In closing, the lecturer said that much can be forgiven a man who loves as Whitman did. While temporary evil may result from his poems, it will finally be overshadowed and obliterated by the good. His better side will long live to bless, ennoble and cheer the hearts of men.