Professor Goodwin's Lecture.

Professor Good win delivered the second of his course of lectures on Greek Philosophy last evening in the Fogg Museum. After giving a brief resume of his last lecture, he spoke of the great intellectural movement which began with Socrates, who was born in 469 B. C. The great philosopher left no writing whatever. We know him only through the unreliable memoirs of Xenophon, and the somewhat erratic dialogues of Plato.

Although Socrates was the father of many philosophies he had no system of his own. He taught the philosophy of philosophy. Taking for his motto the words "Know Thyself," he relentlessly showed up the ignorance of man, believing that it was the greatest obstacle to human knowledge. He said that the only real good was knowledge; the only real evil, ignorance. He taught the foundations of the modern system of reasoning by induction and deduction.

Professor Goodwin then spoke of the Sophists. He said that they did not teach any immoral doctrines, as was generally believed. They seem to have been a set of worthy scholars who craved for higher knowledge. The Sophists were characterized by their opponent, Plato, as the mere reflection of public opinion. Protagoras taught that whatever a man's opinion teaches him is true to that man. The lecturer closed by showing how utterly absurd are the violent charges of immorality attached to this system of belief.