HARVARD IN THE FIFTIES.

First of the Series of Lectures on Three Decades of Harvard History.

Sanders Theatre was crowded last night to hear President Eliot deliver the first of the lectures given on Harvard in the Fifties, under the auspices of the Memorial Society. The President was introduced by Dr. Winsor, who spoke briefly of the Harvard Memorial Society. He then began as follows:

The history of Harvard in the fifties is too voluminous to treat of in a single hour, so I propose to give but a slow sketch.

In 1850 the Yard was not divided into two parts as it now is by Thayer, University and Weld. Boylston, Weld, Grays, Sever and the Fogg Museum have all been built since then. Gore Hall had just been erected, and was the pride and delight of the generation which built it. The old president's house on Harvard street has since been made a boarding house, as have several other former residences of the faculty members. Most of the College buildings were in the Yard, and Massachusetts was a dormitory, with two entrances, like Holllis and Stoughton. Only half of College House was then standing, the part adjoining Church street having been built since.

Many of the seeds of future growth in the University were planted in the fifties. There were many trees in the yard then, but none of them were very large and the walks and grounds about the College were entirely unkept. There were no such things as board walks or sewers in those days, and, save for the light coming from the student's windows, the Yard was dark at night. Gas had just been introduced into Cambridge, and it was then thought too dangerous to introduce it into the College buildings. In 1857, however, the College agreed to allow the gas company to put gas pipes and fixtures into Holworthy where only the tutors and older students lived, on condition that it would do so free of charge. Soon after this gas was introduced generally and lamp-posts were put up in the Yard. About this time, too, the first private dormitory in Cambridge was built. There was no water in the buildings in those days, and the buildings were poorly kept in every way. No students was allowed to engage a room for more than one year, and the general moving at the beginning of each college year was the cause of the destruction of a great deal of furniture and college property. The cellars of the buildings used to be in wretched condition, usually containing several inches of water so that it was necessary to wear boots when going down stairs for wood.

As there were no special laboratories at Harvard during these years, it is difficult to understand how chemistry and physics and the other sciences were taught. When Professor Cooke was first appointed a full professor he was unusully young and unexperienced, but it was owing to his zeal and energy that the first chemical laboratory was instituted. It was in the northwestern basement of University Hall, the northeastern basement being occupied by a baker's shop. Professor Cooke first ousted the baker in extending his laboratory, and a year or two later obtained more convenient quarters upstairs, effecting many of these improvements at his own expense. A few years later, in 1857, as a result of his labors, Boylston Hall was built. At this time University 2 and 4 were the only rooms allotted to the department of Physics. Holden Chapel was given to the Natural History Department about the same time, the upper floor being used for the Natural History Library. The present Architectural Building was also given to Professor Eustis for his course in botany and zoology. About 1850 Professor Agassiz came to Harvard, and by compelling each student to observe for himself did a great deal to improve instruction in the College. It was owing to his energy and determination that the first section of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, better known as the Agassiz Museum was erected in 1859. I have here sketched the development of the laboratories because that planting was one of the most fruitful which the fifties saw accomplished.

Instruction in those days was a much simpler matter than it is now, being chiefly routine work and that not very severe. The few text books used were of the most elementary kind and are now almost unknown. The condition of the library was very unsatisfactory. There was no income provided for the purchase of books, all books being acquired either by presentation or by special appropriation. Not until 1863 was the card catalogue introduced by Ezra Abbott who spent three years in perfecting this device which is now in general use in all libraries. Until 1857 all examinations in the college were oral. The whole class was kept sitting for four hours while a special committee, appointed for that purpose, asked questions of the students.

There was no gymnasium at that time, and, in fact, no organized sport of any kind. The rowing season lasted for a few weeks only and the training for races was extremely short and light. The crews rowed in large barges. Football was played for a short time in the fall on the delta where Memorial now stands. It was open to all comers, but was only participated in by a few of the six hundred students.

In the first half of the fifties the students went to prayers morning and evening. There were always monitors at chapel to take attendance and to see that all had black coats and hats and that no one was lying down on the seats. The service was a Puritan one, consisting solely of prayer and reading Scripture. About this time Professor Huntington tried to introduce the Episcopal service at chapel, but his proposition was declined by the Corporation.

After sketching President Sparks's term of office which began in 1849 and noting his opposition to the elective system, President Eliot concluded by contrasting the quiet state of the University during the fifties with the period of distraction and turmoil which followed during the Civil War. He referred to

(Continued on sixth page.)