The Yale Speakers.

A. P. STOKES, JR.Anson Phelps Stokes, Jr., is one of the best known and popular members of the senior class. He was born on the 13th of April, 1874, in Staten Island, N. Y. For six years he attended the Berkeley School, where he was a member of the debating club and an editor of the school paper. After spending two years abroad he entered St. Paul's School, and was there one year before entering college, winning the school essay prize during that time. During freshman year he belonged to the Freshman Union, being at one time its vice-president. Throughout his course, Mr. Stokes has been a frequent attendant of the Yale Union, although he is one of the busiest men in college. He was fence orator in his freshman and sophomore years, a member of the sophomore German committee, and floor manager of the junior promenade. During a year or two he was a frequent contributor to the Yale "Lit," and last year won the Junior Exhibition Prize Speaking contest, which requires literary as well as oratorical ability. As chairman of the Ninety-six News Board, and in connection with his work as class deacon, he has had many addresses to make, and, while he has never represented Yale in debate before, he is known as a thoroughly earnest and forcible speaker.

W. H. CLARK.Walter Haven Clark, the second speaker, was born in Hartford, Conn., January 20, 1872 and prepared for college at the Hartford Public High School. He was a prominent member of the school debating club and obtained his forensic training there, at one time holding the office of president. On entering Yale in the class of ninety-six he joined the Freshman Union, taking an active interest in all its affairs. In his sophomore year he early became a member of the Yale Union and in January, 1894, was one of Yale's three representatives in the debate with Harvard. During the first term of junior year Mr. Clark was vice-president of the Union and in January, 1895, was again chosen to debate against Harvard. He was elected president of the Union for the first term of this, his senior year, and although he was not one of the speakers in the Princeton debate last fall, to him in great part the success of this team was due. To him also more than probably any one else belongs the credit for the rise in debating at Yale. When he entered College, it was considered almost a "queer" to belong to one of the Unions, while now their membership rolls contain the names of many of the prominent undergraduates of all classes.

R. S. BALDWIN.The third speaker will be Roger Sherman Baldwin, of New York City, where he was born on November 26, 1873. After attending school in New York for some years, he studied abroad for a year and a half, spending three months of this time at the German "Gymnasium" at Braunschweig. After a year's further preparation he entered Yale and graduated from the Academic department in 1895. He then entered the Yale Law School, where he is now a member of the junior class, and of one of the school debating clubs. As an undergraduate he was a member of his Freshman Union, and later joining the Yale Union, he did much work for the college, which then passed almost unnoticed, as the debating "boom" had not yet commenced. But when it did come he had a good foundation waiting for it. He was vice-president in his junior year, being reelected to a second term of office in the middle of the year. He was one of the speakers for the Townsend prize, and in his senior year took Professor Hadley's regular course of economic debates.