THE MOTT HAVEN TEAM.

Prospects for the Year-Only Five of Last Year's Team Graduated.

Now that the Mott Haven candidates have been in training for a month, it is possible to give some estimate of what the prospects of this year's team are. Of last year's team five have graduated: Ex-Captain Bremer, F. Mason, and V. Munroe, hurdlers; W. E. Putnam, the high jumper; and M. G. Gonterman, the sprinter. K. K. Kubli, the shot putter, who competed at the Harvard-Pennsylvania dual games last year, has also graduated from the Law School. These losses leave the team decidedly weak in both the hurdle races; but with the new material in the jumps, weights and sprints, a better showing should be made than last year's.

F. H. Bigelow '98, L. W. Redpath '98, W. J. Denholm '97 and J. T. Roche '99 are the sprinters of last year's team who are still in College; but none of these are in form yet, except the first who ran well at the B. A. A. games. Of the new men, H. E. Shore '99, E. B. Gould 1900, and J. S. Dunstan 1900 are showing promise.

All of last year's quarter milers are still in College. Captain Vincent, H. H. Fish '99, W. R. Mansfield '97 and J. L. Little '97, are running regularly; and M. L. Butler '98, who ran at New York last spring, and N. B. Marshall '97, who was on the team two years ago and ran against Pennsylvania last year, will begin running after the mid-years. C. H. Williams '98, who ran in the half mile at New York and Philadelphia last spring is now training for the quarter. W. G. Morse '99 and L. Warren 1900 are also doing well in this event.

E. Hollister '97, J, Bordman L. S., and E. N. Fenno '97, the half milers of last year's team are all back and all in training except Fenno. W. F. Porter 1900 A. W. Blakemore '97 and C. D. Draper 1900, who won the half at the Freshman games last fall, are the best of the new half milers.

In the mile run, D. Grant M. S., who broke the Harvard record last spring and took third at the Mott Haven games, is again running. H. W. Foote '97 and P. A. Hutchison '98 also showed up well last spring, but were not taken to New York. They, together with C. L. Bouve '99 and R. A. Garrison 1900, are already running well in the mile. Grant, Foote and Hutchison have done considerable cross country running during the past few months.

Although practice in hurdling has just begun, it looks as though the loss of Bremer, Mason and Munroe would make these events rather weak. H. L. Williams '97 and J. G. Clarke L. S., both of last year's team, will run again, and W. G. Morse '99, J. C. Rice '98, G. G. Hubbard 1900, and F. B. Fox L. S. have had experience in hurdling. But no new men of exceptional ability have yet been found.

In the field events the team will probably be fully as strong as last year. In all the field events except the shot-put and high jump, however, it will be impossible to do much real work beyond getting the men into condition until out-door work can be begun.

In the high jump Putnam is the only one of last year's men who is gone. E. H. Clark L. S., P. E. Somers '99, and A. Stickney '97 are back, although Stickney has a bad ankle which may prevent him from jumping. C. J. Paine '97 may do some jumping although his baseball work will probably take most of his time. W. G. Morse '99 won the handicap jump at the B. A. A. games Saturday with an actual jump of 5 ft. 10 in., and J. D. Dole '99 was also placed.

In the broad jump, J. G. Clarke, E. H. Clark, and A. Stickney have all done twenty-two feet or better. Mason '96 has been the only serious loss.

In the pole vault, W. W. Hoyt M. S., who tied for first place in the Mott Haven games two years ago and who last year won at Athens, will probably compete again. A. B. Emmons '98 is also back. The most promising new man is G. G. Hubbard 1900 who did well in the Freshman games last fall.

In the shot put, there are A. Lovering '97, F. Shaw and E. H. Clark, who have all done thirty-eight feet or better. G. W. Bouve '98, S. W. Wheeler '98, P. M. Jaffray '99 and W. D. Hennen '98 are also training for this event. This is the only field event where continuous practice is at present possible. Most of these men will also train for this event. He has a record of 117 feet.

The walking squad is thus far doing necessarily slow work under the charge of J. D. Phillips '97. C. J. Liebmann '98 is the only other old man who is back, as it is doubtful if C. D. Drew '97, who was on the team two years ago, will walk this year on account of poor health. A large number of new men are with the squad, but it is as yet too early to tell much about them.

Of those who won points at the Mott Haven games last spring, Bremer, who won the low hurdles, and Mason, who won second in the broad jump, have left college. Hollister in the half mile, Grant in the mile, and Denholm in the sprints were the other point winners.