Memorial Management.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

It is to be hoped that the communication in Tuesday's CRIMSON in regard to the management of Memorial will prove the beginning of an agitation of the subject which will result in a much-needed reform. The board at the Hall, as the writer says, has for years been steadily growing worse and worse. The strange thing about it all is the general apathy of the students in the matter. Instead of a systematic filing of complaints and petitions, one sees only an occasional give in the Lampoon to indicate the least dissatisfaction.

Memorial ought to be an ideal dining-hall. It needs only better board to make it so. If the Foxcroft Club had half as commodious or attractive quarters, it would then be a formidable rival in popularity to the older institution and there would be some justification for keeping up the payment of "head-money." It is a fact that for fifteen or twenty cents one can order any day a much better lunch at Foxcroft than is usually served at Memorial.

After all, the remedy for the mismanagement of Memorial lies in the students' own hands. The trouble has always been that its members have taken Memorial fare too much as a matter of course,- a sort of necessary evil, forgetting that they belong to a co-operative organization which chooses its own directors and which can remove its steward for sufficient reason.

J. W. RICE '91.Cambridge, Feb. 16, 1897.