On the Date of the Race.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The CRIMSON editorial in Friday's issue, in commenting upon the conflict of dates set for the University boat race and for Class Day, speaks of the dissatisfaction which such a conflict will cause, "unless the circumstances of the choice are appreciated." These circumstances are that the crew chose June 25 because it would admit of more time for developing speed. If these extra two days are necessary why not go to Poughkeepsie two days earlier?

The choice of Class Day for the race involves many disadvantages. Seniors, unnecessarily compelled to choose between two events, would naturally select Class Day. Many undergraduates, too, might be expected to choose Class Day. At any rate, the conflict of dates will cause a division of interests, and neither event will be so successful as it otherwise would be. The crew will row its race before a mere handful of Harvard students, and if enthusiastic cheering counts for anything, it will be at a decided disadvantage, and setting the race on Class Day will tend to restore that old indifference towards athletics, and as such is to be deplored.

Why, for the sake of an imagined advantage, should the crew select of three possible dates, the one which is so little justifiable? Why should it not have more regard for the interests of the student body and for its own interests? For the interests of the crew and the interests of the students are, or at least should be, inseparable. These interests demand that the race be rowed June 23 or June 24, preferably the former. Such a date would not detract from Class Day and would give the crew the support of the students.

A. M. FULTON '97.