WELD BOAT CLUB.

The Most Promising Crews to go on the River Monday.

The candidates for the Weld crews have now been training about two weeks. Over one hundred candidates have presented themselves and have been divided into eights and a temporary captain appointed over each eight. All the crews work regularly in the Gymnasium. At present the daily routine consists of twenty minutes on the machines, followed by chest weights, dumb-bells, and a short run on the board track. Owing to a scarcity of oars at the boat house the Freshmen have been obliged to use the tank oars in their early work on the river. These will be returned shortly, when a regular set is provided for the Freshmen, and then the Weld candidates will train in the tank. The float at the boat house will be in place by the end of this week and the best of the crews will be taken to the river early next week. The rest will continue work in the tank for a while longer. The coaching at present is being done by W. S. Youngman '95, Arthur Stevens '97, Kernan '97, and Donovan, the professional sculler.

From the whole number of candidates four eights will be selected, one representing each class, and these crews will row in a second race on the day of the class races. After these eights have been picked (with an allowance of one or two men as substitutes on each crew) the remaining candidates are to be formed into four oared crews. Every one who rows regularly will be kept on either the eights or fours, so that no one need fear being dropped. After the class races two eights, junior and intermediate, are to be formed to enter the New England regatta on June 17th. The prizes in this regatta are awarded by the City of Boston.

The object of this whole system of Weld boating is to get a great many organized crews on the river, rowing, under instruction, a uniform stroke with the class and University eights. The idea is heartily advocated by Mr. Lehmann and is under the 'Varsity management.

Membership fees have been arranged for the whole college course for the purpose of effecting a permanent organization in the club, and that the good results of one boating season may be transferred to the next. The unusually large number of candidates shows the widespread interest taken in boating this spring. Many of the men are promising in their work and of good physique, and with the addition of some of the men now with their class eights there should be little difficulty in forming at least four good crews.