THE PRINCETON LETTER.

PRINCETON, March 1, 1897.

The preliminary baseball practice has been inaugurated. For over a week sixty-two candidates for the freshman team have been practicing in the cage under the direction of Captain Wilson and several of last year's 'varsity nine. The number has now been reduced to twenty-eight and some promising material has been developed. All candidates from the other classes have now been called out for the cage work. These men have been doing light works. in the gymnasium for the past two weeks. Arrangements have been completed for the introduction of the game of basketball into Princeton. The matter is in the hands of the football management and the movement is started with a view to keeping the football candidates in condition before the opening of the football season.

Last Thursday the university glee and mandolin clubs gave a concert in University Hall for the benefit of Evelyn College. An informal dance followed the concert and the whole affair was an artistic and financial success.

A sufficient amount has been subscribed to secure the construction of a bicycle track one-third of a mile in circuit. The track will be situated directly back of Brown Hall. If sufficient interest is taken in bicycle work this spring, and a large enough number of men are willing to engage in the necessary training, it is possible that a coach will be secured later in the season.

The question for discussion in the Class of 1876 Prize Debate was: "Resolved, That the best interests of the United States demand a large increase in her naval force." H. H. Yocum '98 received the first prize. The Nassau Lit. Prize for the best oration was awarded to E. J. Newton '99, who spoke on "The Age of Sacrifice." At the in door games and exhibition in the afternoon three Princeton indoor records were broken: Garrett '97 put the shot 40 ft. 10 1-2 in.; Tyler '97 cleared 10 ft. 6 in. in the pole vault; while Carroll '00 broke the record for the high jump with the bar at 5 ft. 11 1-4 in.

Mr. Charles F. Underhill, the impersonator, gave Shakespeare's "Midsummer's Night's Dream" on Feb. 26 in Alexander Hall before a large audience. The entertainment was a novelty in Princeton and was highly enjoyed.

In order to ascertain the sentiment of the undergraduates with regard to the disposition of East College, the Daily Princetonian has decided to take a vote on the question. The new library now in process of construction necessitates either the destruction of the building or its removal to another location. A great deal of discussion has been evoked by the problem among the alumni and a diversity of opinion expressed.

DAILY PRINCETONIAN.