'86 Quarter Mile Cup.

At the meeting of the Mott Haven team candidates in January, Mr. S. G. Wells '86 offered a cup which is to be known as the " '86 Quarter Mile Cup." Mr. Wells wishes to encourage as many men as possible to try the 440 yards dash, so he has made the race for the cup a handicap one. The cup is to be competed for annually beginning in 1898, until won three times by the same runner, when it shall become his personal property.

It was intended to have had the first race take place immediately after the Easter recess this year, but it is feared that a hard race with preliminary and final heats so near the dual games with the University of Pennsylvania and with Yale might injure the condition of some of the men, consequently it has been postponed until next year.

All students of the University may compete for the cup who are entitled to compete in intercollegiate games. The student winning the cup shall have his name engraved thereon and shall be entitled to keep the cup until the next competition. The handicaps shall be as follows: Men in the first year that they are entitled to compete for the University shall receive 20 yards; men in the second year that they are so entitled 10 yards; men in the third year 5 yards; men in the fourth year shall start from scratch.