JUNIORS, 6; SENIORS, 5.

The Second Game of the Series an Interesting One.

The Juniors won the second game in their series with the Seniors yesterday afternoon by a score of 6 to 5. The game was interesting throughout and rather well played in many respects. The make-up of Ninety-eight was entirely changed from the first game and as a result the team was very much stronger. Ninety-seven was unable to hit Hayes to any extent and this, together with poor fielding and a few timely hits by Ninety-eight, lost them the game.

The pitchers were very effective. Hayes, barring a little wildness at the start, pitched strongly throughout and in the last inning showed great steadiness at a critical point. Harris showed up well in the short time he pitched and struck out six men in the last three innings. Outside of the batteries, the best work was done for Ninety-seven by Warren, while for Ninety-eight Vincent was very active at the bat and on the bases although his fielding was rather ragged. Edmunds was responsible for a pretty double play at an opportune time in the second.

The first run was scored in the second by Ninety-seven when, with the bases full, a base on balls forced in a run. Edmunds' double play prevented more scoring. Ninety-eight scored one in the third on this by Vincent, Edmunds and Hayes, and three more in the fourth on two hits and errors by Garrison, Field and Dunlop. Each side scored one in the fifth, Ninety-seven on a base on balls and a hit, and Ninety-eight on Haskell's base on balls from which he stole second and came home on Adams's wild throw of Bouve's hit. Ninety-seven scored one more in the eighth on Field's base on balls, Hayes's wild throw to catch him off first and Sullivan's single. Ninety-eight's last run was scored in the same inning on Brown's hit, two stolen bases and Field's error off Vincent.

With the score six to three against them at the beginning of the ninth, Ninety-seven made a very pucky rally. Garrison made a two-base hit, Warren followed with a single and Garrison scored on Vincent's error of Harris's hit. With men on second and third and none out, Hayes settled down and pitched extremely well. Field flied out and Scott would have been out but for Brown's muff of his third strike. On this play, Brown threw poorly to first, letting in another run. Hayes then struck out Sullivan and the last man was retired on an easy hit to third.

The score is as follows:

NINETY-EIGHT.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. p.o. a. e.

Vincent, 2b. 5 1 2 2 1 1 2

Edmunds, c. f. 5 0 1 1 1 1 0

Hayes, p. 4 0 1 1 1 12 1

Haskell, s. s. 2 1 0 0 1 2 0

Bouve, 1b. 4 0 0 0 7 0 0

Sterling, r. f. 4 0 1 1 2 0 0

Brown, c. 3 2 1 1 11 2 1

Davis, l. f. 4 1 1 1 1 1 0

Manning, 3b. 4 1 0 0 2 3 1

Totals, 35 6 7 7 27 22 5

NINETY-SEVEN.

a.b. r. b.h. t.b. p.o. a. e.

Warren, 1b. 2 2 1 1 10 0 0

Harris, r. f., p., 5 0 1 1 0 5 0

Field, s. s. 4 1 0 0 0 3 3

Scott, c. 4 0 0 0 9 1 0

Adams, p. 2 0 0 0 0 8 1

Kernan, l. f. 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

Sullivan, l. f. 2 0 1 1 0 0 0

Hallowell, 3b. 3 1 0 0 1 0 1

Dunlop, c. f. 2 0 1 1 1 0 1

Nichols, l. f., r. f. 2 0 0 0 1 0 0

Weld, r. f. 2 0 0 0 0 0 0

Garrison, 2b. 4 1 2 3 2 1 2

Totals, 38 5 6 7 24 18 8

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Ninety-eight, 0 0 1 3 1 0 0 1 x-6

Ninety-seven, 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 2-5

Earned run-'98. Two-base hit-Garrison. Sacrifice hit-Edmunds. Stolen bases-Vincent 2, Brown 2, Haskell. First base on balls-Haskell 2, Brown, Warren 3, Field, Hallowell. Struck out-Edmunds 2, Bouve, Sterling, Davis 2, Manning 3, Field 2, Scott 3, Adams 2, Sullivan, Nichols, Weld, Garrison. Double play-Edmunds and Brown. Hit by pitched ball-Dunlop. Umpire-G. W. Thompson '99.