Work of the College Nine.

During the month that the College nine has been separated from the 'Varsity the practice has consisted of the usual fielding and batting, varied by an occasional practice game with the 'Varsity and Freshman teams. Of the five games played with the 'Varsity the College nine has two. It has defeated the Freshmen twice.

Foster, Doran, J. Galbraith, Stearns and Dill have been doing most of the pitching, and from these men the regular pitchers will be chosen. Stearns is doing the best work. He is left-handed, has a good delivery and good control, but his arm is not particularly strong. Foster is not so speedy but has better control. Galbraith depends upon a slow ball; his delivery is puzzling. It is very probable that the 'Varsity pitchers will be borrowed for the more important games. Simpson is the only catcher out at present. Before he came out it was necessary to borrow a catcher from the 'Varsity or Freshman squad.

The team, as a whole, is fielding very well, but the batting is not what it should be. The infield plays a pretty steady though rather slow game. In the outfield, the men are fairly sure on fly balls but, with the exception of Sears, do not cover enough ground.

The probable make-up of the nine, exclusive of the battery, is: 1b., Lewis; 2b., Maguire; 3b., Litchfield or Ewer; s. s., Galbraith; l. f., Sears (capt.); c. f., Lane; r. f., Farrington.

During the vacation the College nine will play the following games: April 16, Boston University at Cambridge; April 19, Malden at Malden; April 20, Andover at Andover; April 22, Somerville High and Latin at Cambridge; April 23, North Atleboro at North Atleboro.