Freshmen, 20; M. I. T. 1901, 3.

The Freshmen defeated M. I. T. 1901 yesterday afternoon on Holmes Field, by a score of 20 to 3. The feature of the game was the hard batting of the Freshmen, who secured a total of twenty hits. Jaynes, in particular, made five singles out of six times at bat, and scored four runs. Fincke also showed up well, making one three-base hit besides three singles, while Cropley, Putnam, Kendall and Whittemore made two hits apiece. Whittemore, who pitched for the Freshmen, proved very effective and allowed only six hits, all of which were scattered. For M. I. T. 1901, Townfield and Shepard both made two singles, and Wood a home run.

The fielding of the Freshmen was, on the whole, sharp and fairly accurate. Putnam and Fincke, however, were not up to their usual form, while Jaynes missed an easy fly in centre field Robinson at third, on the other hand, threw well to first and had three assists to his credit, besides a difficult put-out. Milne, Whittemore and Kendall also played a good, strong fielding game. Wilder in left field made the star catch of the game for the M. I. T. freshmen while Hull secured a difficult foul fly in the second inning.

The score of the game by innings follows:

Inning, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Freshmen, 0 0 4 2 2 4 5 3-20

M. I. T. 1901, 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0-3