INDIANS DEFEATED.

A Hard Earned and Satisfactory Victory. Score, 22 to 10.

In a game which was satisfactory and even brilliant in many departments of football, and one which was hotly contested throughout, Harvard defeated the Carlisle Indians on Saturday, twenty-two to ten. Except for permitting the touchdown, which was made by the Indians on a fumble in the first minutes' play, the Harvard team exceeded general expectations and rolled up a good score against opponents of great reputation for strength. On the offensive Harvard was much stronger than the Indians, and was rarely held for downs. The defense, as was expected, kept the ball so far from the goal line that Hudson could not kick a goal from the field until the presence of substitutes weakened the Harvard line which finally gave way before the furious attacks of the Indians. Hudson then rushed the ball down into Harvard's territory and made a graceful drop-kick from the 35 yard line.

With almost no wind, punting was ofter resorted to by both sides and Hallowell easily out-punted Miller, who was forced to do the kicking for the Indians. Much ground was also gained by Daly, who rushed back Miller's punts usually for gains of about 15 yards. Excepting once, when the ball was lost on four downs and twice when he should have allowed kicks to cross the line, Daly's generalship was excellent. His clean tackle of Metoxen in the first half saved the eleven from one more touchdown against them, aside from its merit as a hard tackle.

The Indians' defense was decidedly strong, owing to the vigorous and low tackling of all of the line-men. Except on one or two well-executed trick-plays, the Harvard backs were totally unable to gain around the ends, and had to depend upon line-plays. The most successful play for Carlisle was a mass formation outside of tackle, which completely overpowered the substitute tackles in the second half and made uninterrupted gains, especially through Swain.

The Harvard centre was thoroughly dependable during the whole game. Donald and Lawrence were steady on the defense, and, except for Metoxen's 40-yard run through Lawrence, they rarely failed to tackle the runner in plays directed at them. Campbell and Hallowell played fast football, and the latter was invaluable for his punting. Fumbling was the striking weakness in Harvard's game. Gierasch worked hard, but did not prove as brilliant a runner as was expected and his fumble was as costly as it was inexcusable. Ellis was the only back upon whom reliance could be placed at all times. His ground-gaining, especially on a new formation with Donald back of the line, was far superior to any work Reid has done this year.

Burnett kicked off to Hudson, who ran back fifteen yards before he was downed by Donald. Attempts at gaining around Harvard's ends failed, and Miller punted. Gierasch, annoyed by the Indian ends, did not catch the ball cleanly and it rolled to one side. Redwater dropped on it, scrambled to his feet and broke away down a clear field. Daly caught him from behind, but too late to prevent a touchdown. Wheelock missed the goal.

Succeeding the next kick-off, both sides fumbled continually. After an exchange of kicks to Harvard's favor and an off-side play by Carlisle, Ellis rushed the ball to the Indian's 20-yard line on a fake kick, and by successful line-plunges, carried it to the five yard line. Here Carlisle held for two downs when Daly scored on a clever criss-cross, and Lawrence kicked the goal. Soon after the kick-off the Indians were forced to punt but Ellis blocked the kick and fell on the ball. Daly, with Donald back, then attacked the Indian centre, and soon sent Ellis across the line for a touchdown. Lawrence missed the goal. During the rest of the half, the ball changed hands often. Once Metoxen broke through Lawrence for 40-yards, but was downed by Daly. Many tricks were tried by both teams but few were successful.

At the beginning of the second half, Daly returned Pierce's kick-off and Ellis secured the ball on a fumble. On the next exchange of punts Daly made a fair catch on the 47 yard line. Although Burnett missed this try at goal, he kicked one a minute later from the 37 yard line. Offside play by Harvard gave the ball to Carlisle, who rushed it to the 40 yard line, where Hudson missed a difficult goal. More punting followed in Hallowell's favor, until he finally secured the ball on a fumble. This enabled Kendall to score, and Daly kicked the goal.

Harvard was now playing five substitutes and the attack of the Indians could not be withstood. Hudson kicked one goal from the field, and would have done more but for the end of play, when his team was gaining at will.

The line-up follows: Harvard.  Carlisle. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Sickles. Donald, Swain, l.t.  r.t., Seneca. A. R. Sargent, l.g.  r.g., Scott. Burnett, c.  c., Smith. Burden, r.g.  l.g., Redwater. Lawrence, Eaton, r.t.  l.t., Wheelock, Pierce. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Rogers. Daly, q.b.  q.b., Hudson. Gierasch, Parker, l.h.  r.h., Miller, Johnson. Kendall, Warren, r.h.  l.h., Metoxen. Ellis, Reid, f.b.  f.b., Pierce, Miller.

Score--Harvard 22, Carlisle 10. Touchdowns--Daly, Ellis, Kendall, Redwater. Goals from touchdowns -- Lawrence, Daly. Goals from the field -- Burnett, Hudson. Umpire--Paul Dashiel of Lehigh. Referee--Budd of Lehigh. Timekeeper--Wood of B. A. A. Linesmen--Talbot of Harvard and Baine of Carlisle. Time--Two twenty-five minute halves.