Princeton Wins Golf.

Percy R. Pyne, 2d, of Princeton won the individual intercollegiate golf championship last Saturday, defeating J. G. Averill of Harvard, after a tie on the last of the second eighteen holes, by the score of 5-4 on the extra hole.

In the semi-finals on Friday afternoon, Averill, Harvard, defeated Stuart, Princeton, 5 up 4 to play, and Pyne, Princeton, defeated Hitchcock, Yale, 1 up. On Saturday Pyne had the better of in the morning round up to the turn, when he was two up. At the first tee Averill drove the better ball, but over-pitched on his mashie shot falling in the trap bunker beyond the green. It cost him two to get out of the bunker, and Pyne won the hole, 5-7. Averill won the second hole, 3-4, through Pyne's indifferent putting. Both men made the third green in three, but the Princeton man won on the putting, 5-6. On the fourth hole, Averill pulled his drive; Pyne sliced his second, but won by 6-7. Both made the fifth in two and Averill won on the put, 4-5. The sixth should have been halved for both balls were within a foot of the hole in three. Averill, however, missed his put and Pyne won, 4-5, and was two up. Pyne lost the seventh, 5-4. Both halved the eighth in five. At the ninth hole both were on the edge of the green in two. Averill missed a foot put, giving the hole to his opponent by 4-5. Pyne thus ended the round two up. The Harvard man got the tenth, 5-7, owing to Pyne's missing a try with both brassy and mashie. Pyne went over the green on his approach to the eleventh and Averill won again, 5-6. Averill won the twelfth, 3-4, driving within two yards of the cup. The thirteenth hole was halved in six. By a perfect four, Averill won the fourteenth, and was then two up. The fifteenth hole was halved in five, and the sixteenth in six. Averill won the seventeenth, 5-6, as Pyne made a poor shot from the woods for his third. The players halved the honor hole in a far three leaving Averill three up on the morning play.

In the afternoon Pyne had cut down Averill's lead to two up and then won the twenty-eighth, 4-5. Pyne was now one down. On the twenty-ninth, Averill had a good four and won the hole, 4-6. Then followed five halved holes and Averill was dormie two. On the thirty-fifth, Pyne won, 5-6, and Averill was still dormie. Pyne scored an excellent three on the last while Averill took four because of a short drive. The match was now a tie. On the extra hole both were on the green in two, but Pyne scored on the put in 4-5, thus winning the hole and match.