HARVARD VS BOWDOIN

Game on Soldiers Field this Afternoon at 4 o'clock.

This afternoon at four o'clock the eleven will line up against Bowdoin for the second game of the season. Bowdoin scored against Harvard last year, and is expected to put up a strong game today. So many members of the football squad have received temporary injuries during the past week that the line-up of the eleven today is very uncertain. While Campbell and Ristine have been laid off, one of them will probably play. Daly has not taken an active part in the practice since the Williams game, and it is not likely that he will play today. Lawrence will play tackle in place of Eaton, who will not be out again for some time. Lawrence is an aggressive player, but is apt to get off-side.

The probable line-ups will be: Harvard.  Bowdoin. Campbell, Ristine, l.e.  r.e., Chatman. Swain, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., La Ferriere. Boal, l.g.  r.g., Bodwel. C. Sargent, c.  c., Swett. Burden, r.g.  l.g., Cloudman. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Small. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Clark. Daly, Fincke, q.b.  q.b., Donald. Parker, l.h.  r.h., Hunt. Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Guyson. Sawin, Reid, f.b.  f.b., Upton.

The preliminary practice yesterday again included a good deal of breaking through for the line-men, under the direction of M. Donald '99, W. H. Lewis L. S. '95, and J. Cranston '91. Although the men are picking up points every day from the coaches, they do not seem to apply them in the line-up. In Dibblee's absence, J. L. Knox '98 and J. A. Sullivan '97 looked after the backs and the punting. Except for some work of Reid's after the baseball practice was over, the kicking was decidedly mediocre. Sawin and Hallowell have good form, but their punts lack distance. R. Lawrence, half-back on last year's Freshman team, was out yesterday for the first time this season. His kicking is not particularly good, but he runs well with the ball.

Two halves were played yesterday, with many changes in the line-up of both first and second elevens. The playing was spiritless at times, but a great improvement was noticeable in the interference. Burnett, who played centre on the second, was very active in getting into the plays, and though his tackling was poor, he frequently found the runner.

In the first half, Burnett kicked off to the first who lost the ball on a fumble. After two or three gains the second lost the ball on downs, but Burnett's activity prevented the first from gaining. After an exchange of punts, Sawin caught the ball on his own thirty-yard line and, eluding the second eleven's ends, ran eighty yards for a touchdown. In the remainder of the half the first eleven again pushed the ball the length of the field by short rushes. During the next half the first eleven, with substitute backs, scored twice. On the few occasions when the second had the ball, they lost it on downs or by fumbles. Hurley was the only man on the second who played with any considerable dash.

The line-up follows: First.  Second. Hoxie, l.e.  r.e., Channing. Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Peyton, Talbot. Boal, l.g.  r.g., Hollingsworth, Heath. C. Sargent, c.  c., Burnett, Lyman. Burden, r.g.  l.g., A. R. Sargent. Rainsford, r.g.  l.g., Barnard. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Nickerson, Grew. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Gray, L. Motley. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley, Blakely. Parker, Kendall, l.h.  r.h., Hurley. Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Noyes. Warren, r.h.  l.h., Jaynes. Sawin, f.b.  f.b., R. Lawrence. Devens, f.b.  f.b., Clay.