THE ELEVEN.

Yesterday's Practice Long. Hard and Fairly Satisfactory.

As a whole, the practice of yesterday showed general improvement over the play in the Bowdoin game. Especially noticeable was the brace taken by the backs in the last five minutes of the practice. They put all possible energy into their running, started with the ball, not after it, and in bucking the line kept low. The linemen also made a stride forward by getting the start on their opponents and charging them back into their own territory. The result was the more gratifying, in the sense that the men thus responded to the efforts of the coaches to show the importance of the principle. Owing partly to the fact that the line, frequently changed in its makeup, played against a very strong line on the second eleven, little scoring was done. But even more explanatory of failure to score were the fumbling, the wretched kicking and the failure to make holes in the line. Only around the ends, in fact, were gains sure of being made by Warren and Gierasch. In all, two touchdowns and a goal from the field were scored.

One or two new features were introduced in the preliminary practice. Coach Lewis so arranged the tackling of the dummy for the line-men as to give them experience in the direct tackling which they will get in games. To this was added some tackling from behind, which proved very advantageous, especially to the new men. Dibblee devoted a large part of his time to showing the backs how to handle themselves in interference. As was proved by the Bowdoin game, the backs are still apt to be careless about taking their proper positions, and about starting simultaneously with the ball. N. W. Cabot '98 and M. Donald 1L., pointed out to the ends and tackles how to meet the attack with better advantage.

The playing itself was long and hard. Punting was purposely tried but with varying results. Both Hallowell and Reid were frequently outpunted by R. Lawrence of the second. Not till the last part of the practice, did the 'Varsity, giving up punting, actually score. Behind excellent interference, Gierasch cleared Gray's end for a twenty-yard run to the line. A minute later, Warren, who fell into dive plays with his old-time vim, scored the second touchdown. Lawrence's goal from the field resulted soon afterwards from Fincke's fair catch on the thirty-yard line.

Owing to injuries, more or less serious, a large number of the first eleven are taking only a small share in the regular daily practice. Eaton is still troubled with water on the knee,--the result of an injury in the Williams game. C. Sargent hurt his shoulder slightly yesterday and gave place to Burnett. Swain, who is still far below his old standard, was also taken out, as a result of a sharp blow back of the head. Reid wrenched some muscles in his leg and retired in favor of Sawin. With Burden, Daly and Eaton out of the practice, the coaches are considerably hindered in their attempts at getting the line and backs to act in harmony.

The line-up follows: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Ristine, l.e.  r.e., MacKay. Swain, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Peyton. Rainsford, l.g.  r.g., Hollingsworth. C. Sargent, Burnett, c..  c., Burnett, Carroll. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., A. R. Sargent. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Knowlton, Nickerson, Spratt. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Gray. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley. Gierasch; Sawin, l. h.  r.h., Hurley. Warren, Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Brayton Reid, Levens f.b.  f.b., R. Lawrence.