HARVARD, 20; WESLEYAN, 0.

Aggressive Playing.--Defence Weakened.--Excellent Individual Work.

The University eleven defeated Wesleyan Saturday afternoon by the score of 20 to 0. Fifteen and ten minute halves were played. The victory showed unlooked for strength on the part of the substitutes behind the line, but was attended by some serious faults. The twenty points Harvard was able to score were gained more by brilliant individual work by the half-backs than by any superiority in team-work. At times the Wesleyan backs made long gains through the line and especially through the tackles which are still the weakest points in the line.

Wesleyan played better football than any team Harvard has met this year. Her back-field was aggressive and the mass tackle plays were very well executed. Hartzell played a brilliant game at halfback and punted well. The ends, and especially S. Dodds, were successful in pocketing the Harvard tackles although a well formed interference sometimes put them out of the play.

In the Harvard line by far the best playing was by Boal. He blocked two kicks, handled his man with ease, and was the mainstay of the forwards. He is one of the few regular men who is in splendid physical condition. Burden played only one half and gave place to Barnard. Hallowell's playing and punting were of the first order until he was forced to retire from the game. The remainder of the line, however, played without particular merit. Lawrence was as aggressive as usual, but often totally ineffective. In addition to his old habit of getting off side, he was boxed again and again by S. Dodds. L. Motley, who replaced Gray in the second half, tackled low and hard, and defended his position very well.

The back-field played a sharp and fast game. Fincke ran the team with discretion, tackled hard and was a useful man in the interference. Kendall; individually, was strong, but was of little service as an interferer. As Gierasch has strained a ligament in his leg, Parker played throughout the game. In spite of his light weight, he again proved his strength as a halfback. Ellis took Kendall's place in the second half, and, by carefully following his interference, made several long runs. He also made consistent gains on line plunges.

Harvard scored after a few minutes of play. An exchange of punts in Harvard's favor and short and sharp rushes brought the ball to the twenty-five yard line. Fifteen yards by Parker around the end and short line plunges enabled Kendall to make a touchdown. Lawrence kicked the goal. Superiority in punting again made a score possible. Devens returned the kick-off and Wesleyan began to rush. Twice they gained through Lawrence and then punted to Kendall on the ten yard line. Kendall next cleared the end for twenty-five yards and Hallowell punted. On the return punt Harvard had the ball in the centre of the field and Hallowell kicked it out on Wesleyan's five yard line. As Hartzell was attempting to punt out, Burden broke through and downed him for a safety. Hallowell's next punt was not as well directed and the ball rolled over the goal line. A rush by Devens on receiving the free kick brought the ball to the thirty yard line. Two off-side plays by Wesleyan and short line plunges gave Kendall the second opportunity to score. Lawrence kicked the goal.

In the second half Wesleyan prevented a large score by stronger playing. Hallowell wrenched his shoulder after excellent defensive work and had to retire from the game, and Boal continued his efficiency without decrease. One touchdown was scored. Ellis made a run of forty yards to the ten-yard line, when three plunges carried the ball across the goal line. Parker made the touchdown and Lawrence kicked the third goal.

The line-up follows: Harvard.  Wesleyan. Gray, L. Motley, l.e.  r.e., Cornwall. Swain, l.t.  r.t., Montgomery. Boal, l.g.  r.g., Lufkin. Greene, c.  c., Silliman. Burden, Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Brown. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l..t, Yarrow. Hallowell, Cooper, r.e.  l..e, S. Dodds. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., C. Dodds. Parker, l.h.  r.h., Hartzell. Kendall, Ellis, r.h.  l.h., Wilcox. Devens, Warren, f.b.  f.b., Inglis.

Umpire--C. O. Jenkins of Yale. Referee--H. Letton of Yale. Timekeeper--John Graham of B. A. A. Linesmen--Kasson of Harvard and Jones of Wesleyan. Touchdowns--Kendall 2, Parker. Goals--Lawrence 3. Safety--Hartzell. Score--Harvard 20, Wesleyan 0. Time--Fifteen and ten minute halves.