A LISTLESS GAME.

Dartmouth Defeated by the Score of 11 to 0. -- Much Fumbling.

It was difficult to detect a single redeeming feature in the playing of the University eleven on Saturday. With only a week before the game for which the entire season is preparatory, there still remain several fundamentals of football to be learned by the players. After the first two minutes, the team did not pretend to play hard football. Of course the wet ball and the slippery field excused many faults, but the team has overcome these difficulties in other games. The game Saturday showed a reaction, perhaps a slump.

Dartmouth was fully as weak as was expected. The general work of Proctor, especially his punting, was the feature of the playing of the team. Boyle's work under kicks was good and especially so in the second half. At times the Dartmouth backs would show the spirit in line bucking that made them so much feared two years ago. On the defense, however, the centre of the line was weak.

The one great fault in the Harvard team was fumbling. Seven times during the game, Harvard lost the ball to Dartmouth on fumbles, which is omitting the times the ball was fumbled and recovered by Harvard lost the ball to Dartmouth on fumbles, which is omitting the times the ball was fumbled and recovered by Harvard men. The work of Kendall and Fincke was ragged. Again and again they attempted to pick up the ball on fumbles instead of dropping on it. These errors and frequent offsides gave the ball to Dartmouth at critical times, and prevented much scoring by Harvard. The whole eleven tackled poorly. In contrast to the other points of play, the punting was good. Hallowell's kicks in general were high and long, but nevertheless, he fumbled the ball twice when passed back to him by Sargent. Considering the conditions, Sargent's passing was very good.

Dartmouth kicked off and Fincke returned the kick to Dartmouth's 50 -- yard line, where Proctor fumbled the ball and Ellis dropped on it. Here followed the only good football of the day. The Harvard backs, especially Ellis hurdled the line for long gains. Ellis finally scored and Lawrence kicked the goal. On exchanges of kicks, the Dartmouth players ran the ball back twenty and fifteen yards each time. Proctor tried for a field goal which was blocked by Eaton. Then there was more kicking until Sawin, catching one of Proctor's punts =, ran 20 yards. Fincke began to rush again, and, as there was now no fumbling, Sawin was able to score from the 30 -- yard line. Lawrence missed the goal.

Dartmouth kept the ball in Harvard's territory for the rest of the half. In the second half, Harvard took the ball to Dartmouth's five -- yard line, but was held for downs. There was much punting which was to Hallowell's advantage, in spite of the splendid tackling of Boyle. Fincke was slow and listless in this half.

The line -- up: Harvard.  Dartmouth. Ristine, l.e.  r.e., O'Connor. Eaton, l.t.  r.t., Alling. A.R. Sargent, Hollingsworth, l.g.  r.g., Corson. C. Sargent, c.  c., Rogers. Burden, r.g.  l.g., Lowe. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Crowell. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Boyle. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., Wentworth. Sawin, Parker, l.h.  r.h. Stickney. Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Griffin. Ellis, f.b.  f.b., Proctor.

Score--Harvard 11, Dartmouth 0. Touchdowns--Ellis, Sawin. Goal from touchdown--Lawrence. Umpire--Leton. Referee--R. Waters. Time--keeper--F. Wood. Linesman--Gray of Harvard and Thompson of Dartmouth. Time--Twenty and fifteen minute halves.