THE HARVARD ELEVEN.

The Development of the Eleven for the Season of 1899.

With the prestige of a victorious season behind them and with the confidence of more successes to come, thirty-five men reported for the first practice on Monday, September 18. The old players to return, in addition to Captain Burden, were Boal, Hallowell, Daly and Warren, and later, Eaton, Swain, Burnett and Donald. With this nucleus of old players has been built up a Harvard eleven which today stands fully as strong as last year's at this date. The slump did not occur this year unless the reaction succeeding the Pennyslvania game can be called such. The minor teams, even the Indians and Pennsylvania, were powerless against the Harvard eleven.

In the progressive development which has marked the team, the defense was taken up earlier than the offense and has been worked to perfection. W. H. Lewis has drilled the team in a method of meeting mass plays which, for its efficiency, depends on aggressiveness and mere strength. Up to the Indian game, Harvard had not been scored upon and the scoring in that game was due to an individual weakness and to the presence of substitutes in the line. Pennsylvania could not make consistent gains either around the ends or through the line.

The offense has been erratic and less dependable than the defense, and its efficiency has rested too much upon the individual brilliancy of a set of backs which in numbers and efficiency is the best Harvard has ever had. But in the secret practices of the past two weeks, the interference has been greatly strengthened and unity has come from careful coaching and from the final selection of the halfbacks. Line plays are the main offense today, although end plays are used when the team is a long distance from the goal, and a few tricks have been learned for emergencies.

As it was last year, the condition of the men this year is all that could be desired. The cripples have recovered with the exercise of great care, and none of the regular men are now debarred for injuries. In every game of the season the Harvard players have lasted better than the men opposite them and have at no time shown signs of overtraining.

Hallowell has proved the most reliable kicker on the team although much below the standard of Haughton. Sawin can be called on for punting in emergencies. The great weakness of the team during the past two weeks has been fumbling and unsteadiness in catching kicks, but this has been partially eradicated in the past few days.

Captain Burden, Donald, Boal, Hallowell and Burnett are playing the reliable game they did last year, and Lawrence has overcome the tendency to lose his head and is now a very steady player. Campbell has adjusted himself to the team more easily than any of the new men, and Daly plays the same game as last year. Kendall is a brilliant line bucker and Sawin dodges well, and Ellis's strength is in line plunging, although he is apt to fumble.

The Harvard eleven is a team and not an aggregation of stars. The defense and offense are both stronger than last year, but the latter is less steady and reliable. The kicking is mediocre, but the condition of the men was never better.