THE NEW BOAT HOUSE

Will be Completed by March 1. -- Description of the Building.

Through the generosity of Harvard graduates in New York who subscribed $25,000, the new University boat house has been made possible and is now in process of construction. The Newell Boat Club and the University crews will use it. The location of the building is a short distance above the Boylston Street bridge on the Brighton side of the river. The foundations have been in for some time and the framework is now almost entirely in place. Unfortunately the work has been delayed by the slowness in securing material, and the building can not be completed by the first of February as was hoped, but will be ready for use on March 1.

The plans have been furnished by Peabody & Stearns, of Boston, who have designed a building in harmony with the adjacent Soldiers Field and the new speedway which the city of Boston has just built along the river bank. The building is 139.4 feet long and 85.9 feet wide and is of two stories with a basement. The basement, which extends under the entire building, has not yet been assigned for any particular purpose, but will probably be used as a store-room.

The first floor will have seven entrances from the land side and three from the water side. The middle entrances open directly into the main hall, 71 by 63 feet, which has not yet been assigned for any special use, but most of the oars and probably many of the boats will be placed in it. To the right of the main hall is a workshop, 71 by 21 feet; and beyond it, in the east end of the building, is a rowing tank, 51 by 28 feet. Boat racks will be placed on the walls of the rowing room. On the other side of the main hall is a second workshop, of the same size, as the first, which will be need, in part, as a storage room. In the west end of the building will be a second rowing tank similar to that in the east end. On the river side is a wide piazza over 55 feet long. Between the piazza and the main hall is the vestibule from which lead the stairs to the basement and to the second floor. The office is on the first floor under the west tower, and the hot water room is in the east tower.

In the second story, directly over the main hall, is a large room which will be used for a gymnasium and for the rowing machines. The trophies will also be put in it. To the west of this room will be the lockers and to the east three rooms, one for coaches, one for the University crew, while the third will contain shower baths. The other baths will be in the towers. Balconies will extend out from the second story towards the speedway.