TEAM LEAVES TODAY.

Men Will Assemble at 3.40 to Cheer Them Off.

The University eleven with substitutes, numbering thirty men, will leave the car barn on Boylston street at 3.40 o'clock, today, to go to Philadelphia. In accordance with a long established custom, it is proposed to have the undergraduates assemble to cheer them off. If all who expect to attend the class football game, which begins at four o'clock, will stop at the car barn on their way to the field, enough men can be collected to insure a hearty send off.

After half an hour spent in running through signals yesterday, the University eleven lined up against the second team for two hard halves of open practice. The playing of the first eleven was remarkably good. There was no fumbling, and the defense against the second was strong at all times. On the offense the team used only the simpler plays, gaining ground around the ends by good interference. Sawin, at left half, made most of the touchdowns scored by the first eleven. He also out-punted R. Lawrence of the second, and showed much of his old skill in running with the ball. Burnett had frequent chances to kick goals from the field, but owing to the slippery ball succeeded only once. One of his kicks, however, from the fifty-seven yard line, went far above the cross-bar, but outside the post by a few feet. Reid played fullback for a short time, but wrenched his leg slightly and gave way to Brayton. Warren made long gains around the ends and was very successful in shaking off tacklers after his interference had gone to pieces. Fincke, who played in Daly's place at quarter, showed great improvement in his work. A. R. Sargent played guard in place of Boal, who has, however, entirely recovered from the injury he received in the Amherst game and will play on Saturday.

The line-up yesterday was: First.  Second. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., L. Motley. Donald, Eaton, l.t.  r.t., Stevenson. A. R. Sargent, l.g.  r.g., Barnard. Burnett, c.  c., Kasson, C. Sargent. Burden, r.g.  l.g., Lee, Wheeler. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Talbot, Spratt. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Gray, Cooper. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley, Edmunds. Sawin, l.h.  r.h., Jaynes, Martin. Warren, r.h.  l.h., Brayton, Noyes, J. S. Lawrence. Reid, f.b.  f.b., R. Lawrence. Brayton, f.b.  f.b., Clay.