Lecture by Lieut Kaemmerling.

Lieutenant Gustav Kaemmerling, U. S. N., lectured last night before the Engineering Society on "Incidents at Manila and Cavite Arsenal during the Naval Battle and afterwards." He said in part:

As soon as war was declared the Olympia was ordered to leave Hong Kong by the English and proceeded to Moeis By in Chinese jurisdiction where, after remaining two days, she proceeded directly to Manila. At five o'clock in the afternoon on the day before the battle, Admiral Dewey called a council of war at which he laid forth his plan of battle. The Olympia was to lead the way through the larger of the two entrances into Manila Bay and the other vessels were to follow. Accordingly, at nightfall no lights were lighted except those necessary to run the machinery, and the entrance was made at slow speed. Unfortunately, just at the point of passing the outer forts the smoke pipe of the revenue cutter caught fire, reveling the American position to the enemy, who opened an ineffective fire. the general idea that the fight was an easy one should be corrected, for when we retired for the so-called "breakfast" there was only one officer on our ship who felt certain that the Spaniards were whipped. After the battle was won a blockade of the city was made, and as the insurgents soon surrounded it on the land, the Spaniards were effectually hemmed in. Later, when it was seen that a long stay would be made, a thousand natives were hired at the arsenal, and work began with great energy. The natives, who are a turbulent set of half breeds, of some education, but totally unfitted to govern themselves, had, through association with the Spanish, become lazy and shiftless. A few months of American rule, however, cured them of this. When the insurgents rebelled the natives all quit and chin amen were hired in their places.

Manila Bay is a fine harbor, its only fault being that the entrance is too wide to protect vessels from the typhoons. To remedy this the Spanish government began the construction of a break water, but through mismanagement of funds little had been accomplished. The climate is by no means so bad as is imagined. fifteen or twenty years of American rule should make Manila the greatest city of the East.